corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PC losing date/time/BIOS info

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PC losing date/time/BIOS info
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Jan 11 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm just refurbishing a PC for a customer at the moment, one of the problems it had was that occasionally it would lose all BIOS info and the date would become something silly like 1st June 9999

First thing I thought of was the CMOS battery is dead, I took it out and checked it with my multimeter and it seems ok - multimeter records 3.01v, similar to the spare ones I've got here.

I've cleaned the battery up and reinstalled it, battery doesn't seem loose in the holder on the motherboard.

Could there be anything else that might be causing this problem? Would it be an idea to update the BIOS to the latest firmware, or could it be something dodgy going on in the Windows installation that could reset everything in the BIOS?
Gary
Premium Member

4th Jan 11 at 15:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Windows shouldn't interfear with the bios should it?

I'd upgrade firmware, but would also put a brand new battery in too, just in case.

Can you check battery voltage in your bios? Dogey connection onto the board maybe?
Sam
Premium Member

4th Jan 11 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll check but I don't think there was anywhere in the BIOS that reports CMOS battery voltage?

Definately will update the firmware though, just have to wait for the system to finish installing XP before I can do those bits.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Jan 11 at 15:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would try a new battery anyway regardless of what your multimeter says they are pence and iv never known it be anything other then the battery
Sam
Premium Member

4th Jan 11 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I checked in the BIOS after it rebooted and in the health check section there is an entry for the battery, values seem to fluctuate between 3.3v and 3.4v.

I've got some spare batteries here anyway so I probably will change it Steve.
Andrew

4th Jan 11 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd try another battery and invoice the customer for it. Could update the BIOS as well.

However, you're a company and i wouldn't be pissing around for hours for £50 or so, it's just not worth it.
Ian W

5th Jan 11 at 01:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isn't there a jumper that can be set or removed to reset BIOS? Could this be at fault?
Root

5th Jan 11 at 01:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First thing I thought while reading your story is battery. Then read the end of your story.

Tbh, if it's not the battery, it's more likely the hard drive, but also potentially the motherboard.

I'd try mix and match a few hardware pieces, if you have access, to pin point the problem.

We know it cannot be the gfx/RAM/PSU. I would doubt it's the mobo. I'd try a new battery, then a HDD, then a mobo, if I were in your shoes, to pin point the problem.

[Edited on 05-01-2011 by Root]
Ian W

5th Jan 11 at 01:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ How do you get to hdd from BIOS reseting?
John

5th Jan 11 at 07:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They batteries can be dead when reading 3.3v.
Russ

5th Jan 11 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
I'd try another battery and invoice the customer for it.

you complete tool
Sam
Premium Member

5th Jan 11 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I ran some diagnostic checks on the HDD, and even wrote zeros over all the sectors before reinstalling Windows on it, no bad sectors or anything and no whining/bearing sound so I think we can rule out the HDD.

The motherboard is actually a working pull from another computer as the original board in that PC died due to blown capacitors, so we can also rule out the board too.

The Windows install on the HDD before always had random errors and never shut down properly so I suspect it went a bit tits up, but it's been working fine since I reinstalled everything.

And @ invoicing my customer for a battery

I've said to them this morning after I've dropped it off that if it becomes dodgy again I'll just swap the whole box out with a working system I've got in stock as I'm nice like that.
Cavey

5th Jan 11 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian W
Isn't there a jumper that can be set or removed to reset BIOS? Could this be at fault?

did you try the jumper?

Although, saying that, if it's only intermittent then most likely not that, would only be when the computer is off or resets etc...
Russ

5th Jan 11 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jumper usually flashes to default though, not wipes it.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

5th Jan 11 at 15:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
I'd try another battery and invoice the customer for it.

you complete tool

Its how he affords to buy CTR's and scoobys!

New Poll