corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Getting very, very pissed off with the XE, help please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Getting very, very pissed off with the XE, help please
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
2nd Mar 11 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, where do I begin.

Basically the car's not been running right for about a year. Today I took it on its first long journey since doing the head gasket and also trying to fix this problem. I did about 60 miles to work, to the gf's and back to mine, but just about the point where I hit 45-50 miles the thing started mucking up good and proper doing the thing I thought I had fixed.

I'm onto my second, completely different engine for this car. The first was a late setup (coilpack) from '93 and the one that's in it just now is an early setup (dis-pack) from '90. I'll apologise in advance for the caps but I'M HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH THIS ENGINE AS I HAD WITH THE LAST ONE. I apologise again for the caps but whenever I've asked about this problem that fact seems to get overlooked - it leads me to believe that it is a problem with a component that is to do with running the engine, but not directly part of the engine - ie, fuel pump, fuel relay, lambda etc. It is also worth noting that I am using the same injectors (blues) on the current engine as I had on the old one until I source a set of creams.

I only get this problem after doing a few miles (40+) and only happens when the engine is warm. I will be sitting in traffic in a queue for example and the car starts to stutter making the exact same noises it would make if it was running out of petrol. The revs sometimes sit way too high (2-3k when just idling), it'll randomly cut out on me, it mis-fires, pops and bangs and generally runs like a bag of crap until I get open road where I can give it some, then it's near 100% good. I get an EML when this happens. After flashing the codes the other week it came up with all 4 injectors low voltage and AFM low voltage. These parts are being changed when I can, but in theory it cannot be the AFM that is causing this problem since it's a totally different part from the old engine that had the exact same problem. It is also worth noting that it is overfuelling when this is happening and that as soon as I rev over 3k 8/10 times the problem disappears.

So far I have changed the spark plugs (twice), the lambda sensor, the coolant temperature sensor on the old engine (problem was still there after fitting though), idle control valve, fuel filter and the fuel pump relay. There's more I've done as well I'm sure, will update as I remember.

Basically, I'm looking at things that are to do with the fuel side of things and sensors that are dependant on temperature. I'm getting to the point where the injectors are the only culprits left but I can't see how they would work while the car is cold but muck up when it gets hot.

I am stumped, it's now a case of me not having the knowledge to go any further with it. Me and my dad stripped the ECU out and everything - we thought there might have been a leak through the main grommet at the driver's side but after sealing it up with silicon it's still happening. I'm looking at every wire going into the ECU to check for muck ups and can't see anything the matter with the bits I can see.

I know how hard this is to do over the internet but please, anyone that's had the same type of problems and fixed it let me know what it was. It's got to the point where I can't even drive the thing because it's that bad. If anyone's got any other questions or wants to know anything I've not covered please just ask and I'll give the best answer possible, thanks for reading.
corsadonk
Premium Member

2nd Mar 11 at 19:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you check all your earths are good. Like the ones on the rail bolts?

Are you replacing the parts with GM or pattern parts.

TBH, I had loads of trouble with my old van, and gave up in the end and fitted bike carbs.
mattievRS

3rd Mar 11 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you using the same loom as the old xe used? Also whats the condition of the crank pulley and sensor?
alan-g-w

3rd Mar 11 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

corsadonk, all the earths are fine. I've been replacing parts with a mixture of GM and pattern parts.

mattie, it's a different loom that I got off someone that had it in a good running car previously. Crank pulley and sensor are in good nick as they were on the old engine - I'm asuming you're getting at the timing with that question but it's totally fine as well.
Corsa_Sport21

3rd Mar 11 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would look into changing the fuel pump too.

Also Alan,coil-pack is the same as dis-pack.Just for future reference.
alan-g-w

3rd Mar 11 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool mate, coilpack has inlet temperature sensor though mind.

Fuel pump could be a suspect and I'm defo not saying it's not that, but why would it only do it when hot and low revs?
Corsa_Sport21

3rd Mar 11 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Coilpack and dis-pack are late set-up.Both the same thing.Dizzy or distributor is early set-up.

As for fuel pump,i honestly dont know.Just with you having the same problem after changing engine and loom etc.
Its something i would look into anyway for all it would cost.
wwwNOOBcom

3rd Mar 11 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a nissan 225lp (same rate was walbro 225) on ebay for 30 quid, i would just buy that, saves you going to the scrapy witch the guy will charge you 20 for anyway
alan-g-w

3rd Mar 11 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuel pump fucked up wouldn't throw up an EML though would it?
XE Col
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dunno how common the problem and it was in my pajero so may be completely different, if it is tell me to STFU

i had crap in the tank on my jeep, bits of residue that had built up over the years and was clogging up the pick up pipe causing the same problems, maybe worth a look as its free??
alan-g-w

3rd Mar 11 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I appreciate the suggestion Boissy but if it was something like that I don't think it would do it depending on how hot it would be. If I whip the pump out I'll have a bit of a reach around in the bottom, couldn't hurt anyway
Corsa_Sport21

3rd Mar 11 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you mean by "hot" though Alan??

Your saying it does it after 40 or so miles,the engine would be hot after about 1 mile.

Is there still plenty fuel in the tank when its doing it after a long run??

Pulling the pump out and checking that etc would be the 1st thing id try.
alan-g-w

3rd Mar 11 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've maybe said that wrongly then mate, it starts when it gets overly hot - sitting in traffic and sitting with the engine running in the one spot, times like that.

With regards to the fuel in the tank - it started the other day when I still had about 10L in it

[Edited on 03-03-2011 by alan-g-w]
sri boy

4th Mar 11 at 07:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has it been wired up properly bud
BarnshaW

4th Mar 11 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know it sounds stupid but what air filter do you have on there? nothing to do with heatsoak? other then that the symptoms sound like spark plugs/maf (hesitation and spluttering and misfiring)
alan-g-w

4th Mar 11 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Robbie, it was done by davieslim and his vaux daft mate marty so I'm pretty confident that everything's where it should be with that sort of stuff.

Barnshaw, I've got a BMC look alikey enclosed filter. I thought the same thing as you when I used to have a cone on it - changing it to the current one helped it run better in general but didn't eradicate this problem.

New Poll