corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Good laptop?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Good laptop?
dannymccann

User status: Offline
17th Jun 11 at 05:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking for multipurpose, mainly office related tasks and u know its an acer but price vs spec does anything beat it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270766523590&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2944wt_986
Sam
Premium Member

17th Jun 11 at 07:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm really into Samsung laptops ATM. Nice design, good features, keyboard buttons remind me of a MacBook!

Had mine nearly a year and it hasn't thrown a hissy fit unlike other brands of laptop I've had in the past (HP, IBM, eMachines).
noshua

17th Jun 11 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above, by far the quietest laptop I've ever used and the keyboard is amazing.

You won't find one for that price though, I'd say you probably won't get any better then that for the price.
dannymccann

17th Jun 11 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not over fussed about software problems, my current Acer corrupted itself and it was a bit of pain but I just my student version of XP on and its been fine ever since, worst problem I've found is with the charger connections knackering themselves, but I thought that spec looked half decent
Sam
Premium Member

17th Jun 11 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All laptops will eventually have DC jack problems - the DC jack is just soldered onto the end of the motherboard so if you think of the hundreds or thousands of times you keep flexing it everytime you remove the charger cable/put it in, the solder will eventually break off - although this is in part due to manufacturers using shitty lead-free solder.
moka

17th Jun 11 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're not too bad with a soldering iron and dont mind taking a laptop to bits - its not too difficult to fix. You will obviously need to buy a new DC jack for a quid or so on ebay.
Marc

17th Jun 11 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm on my second Dell.

First one last me 5 years, until I fell out of bed and landed on it

Second one I've had since Sept last year. Had to replace the HDD as in Sams words, it threw a hissy fit
AlunJ

17th Jun 11 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
All laptops will eventually have DC jack problems - the DC jack is just soldered onto the end of the motherboard so if you think of the hundreds or thousands of times you keep flexing it everytime you remove the charger cable/put it in, the solder will eventually break off - although this is in part due to manufacturers using shitty lead-free solder.

this is the one feature I really love about my macbook, the magsafe connector, has saved me way too many times

[Edited on 17-06-2011 by AlunJ]
harrisp

17th Jun 11 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got an aspire 5336 and I like it, brilliant for the money the keyboard is the only thing that lets it down as a couple of my keys stick very occasionally but I since I've been hoovering recently it seems better

Just had a look at those magsafe connecter, looks a good idea more laptops should use it/something similar.
Bonney

17th Jun 11 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a Dell studio 1737 for 3 years until it committed suicide on me, It threw itself down the stairs after jumping from my arms. Its in a right state, But still turns on but only with the charger connected.

Went out and got an asus a508ij one and so far its been great, Not had any trouble with it and the build quality seems better than the Dell one

New Poll