corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » is this legal for towing a corsa ??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author is this legal for towing a corsa ??
Alex_Rally

User status: Offline
8th Nov 11 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is a picture of the spec plate , but i cant read what looks like german or the likes of lol

thanks in advance

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-axle-caravan-chassis-car-trailer-braked-ideal-smaller-cars-VGC-/270847687515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f0fc7bb5b

Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
8th Nov 11 at 19:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plate doesn't mean much because it's been modified.

My major concern would be that it doesn't look braced particularly well or tied in to the existing chassis.

From the plate it looks legal, 775 unladen and 1500 loaded up, which you'll be under with a track day car on. Just make sure it's built properly.

Leaves you with 2t of weight in the tow car and your tow car must weigh more than the laden trailer (probably 1400?) so you'll be OK with most larger saloons on a regular B licence as you have.

[Edited on 08-11-2011 by Ian]
Alex_Rally

8th Nov 11 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think il go and have a look before i put a bid on it il only buy if its looks sturdy on closer inspection and goes cheep. does look very lightweight.
i passed my test in 2007 so need to take my +e test for towing yet , to keep it legal.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
8th Nov 11 at 20:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are OK without +E if you stay under 3.5k in total and the tow car is heavier than what you are towing.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

8th Nov 11 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tow car would have to be over 1500kg unladen as that's the plated weight. Being plated at 1500kg actually makes it about as big a ballache as you can get if avoiding doing the +E but if you're planning to do it anyway then go for it. Makes life far easier.
Alex_Rally

8th Nov 11 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought on my b licence after post1997. u couldnt pull over 750kgs unless you had taken the extra +e test ? so on that trailer if i get my mondeo weighing 1500 kgs its legal.

just checked the min kerb weight of my mondeo is 1383kgs so with fuel, tools and me that will be well over 1500kgs . so would that be totally legal for me to do without doing the extra +e test .

[Edited on 08-11-2011 by geordie_corsa]
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

8th Nov 11 at 22:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's awkward but I'll try and explain it.

You can tow more than 750kg with a category B license but only if the gross weight of the car and trailer aren't more than 3.5t and the unladen weight of the car is more than the gross weight of the trailer.

So basically, without the +E the law is all based on plated weights rather than actual weights so even with an empty trailer, if it's plated at 1500kgs then that is the accepted weight of the trailer.

Where it becomes a ballache is that the gross weight of the car and trailer can't be more than 3.5t so obviously that trailer has a gross weight of 1500kg which means the gross weight of the car can be upto 2000kg but the unladen weight of the car must be over 1500kg, so the Mondeo is too light. The other problem with a 1500kg trailer is that Mondeo sized cars tend to have around a 500kg payload, so the plated weight is about 500kgs more than the unladen weight which means you need the perfect car to be able to tow legally and I'm yet to find a car that has a plated weight of 2000kgs and an unladen weight of 1501kgs which is what you would need.

In your case, you already have a Mondeo that I'm guessing has an adequate towing weight? so it would be easiest to do the trailer test rather than farting about getting a new car that has to fit in with the very limited weights that you need to stick too.

Otherwise it's a case of looking for a trailer with a lower plated weight or in an ideal world, an unplated trailer because then it's the actual trailer weight that matters rather than the weight the trailer can potentially be.
Alex_Rally

9th Nov 11 at 06:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks mike thats cleared that up abit ... i think lol , my mondeo can tow 1500kgs braked weight so more than enough for a trailer and corsa. i think il just hold back and get my +e part on my licence like u say it makes things so much easyier
gazza808

10th Nov 11 at 03:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take the plate off as it's has no meaning now it's not a caravan.
problem sloved aslong as you stay under the kerb weight of your mondeo you'll be safe.
or stick your own plate on it.
my trailer + corsa = 1250kg,
so was fine with my mondeo.
and i don't have b+e

[Edited on 10-11-2011 by gazza808]

New Poll