corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Stripping an XE - Head bolt drenched in oil (WITH PICS NOW)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Stripping an XE - Head bolt drenched in oil (WITH PICS NOW)
dragon2309

User status: Offline
15th Feb 12 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all, in the middle of stripping a C20XE for rebuild, got the head off today, the middle head bolt on one side, and the middle one on the other side but to a lesser extent, of the head were both very oily inside the bolt holes. From looking at the headgasket and block, seems theres an oilway right next to that bolt hole in the block. Anything to worry about or is it just a crappy design of headgasket that seeps oil into the bolt hole because the oilway is so close?

Thanks, dave.

[Edited on 15-02-2012 by dragon2309]
dragon2309

15th Feb 12 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See 3rd in from left, and slightly the same on 3rd in from right

This is the oilway and bolt hole in question

[Edited on 15-02-2012 by dragon2309]
corsadonk
Premium Member

15th Feb 12 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't look right imo. Might be wrong.

I'd give it a good clean out with carb cleaner, and look and see if you can see anything down the hole. Might just be leaking past the gasket.
dragon2309

15th Feb 12 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was told the gasket was fairly new, within the last year, but stranger thigns have happened i guess. I'm using this engine as a project to learn from, doing a full rebuild. So when i've got the bare block it'll probably go to a machine shop to get a rebore and a freshen up, they'll spot anything majorly amiss there.

Just wondered if anyone had seen anythign like it before, or if it was normal, i'd guess they dont all look like this though, lol.
TMM

15th Feb 12 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's fairly common to see though it shouldn't happen. You are right to be cautious about a crack in the block that might have caused the oil to leak in, clean it thoroughly and inspect using a good light source. You can run a dye into the hole to check there's no microfracture in the block.

But it can also happen if the last guy didn't clean the hole out thoroughly meaning the bolt never fully tightened - ie oil isn't compressible so the bolt would not fully torque down properly (this of course often itself cracks the block adjacent to the hole.)

I'd clean it thoroughly and inspect carefully. Chances are it's down to sloppy work last time the head was off.

The photo doesn't show much of the bores, but from what is visible they look pretty decent - does the block actually need a rebore?
dragon2309

15th Feb 12 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi TMM, thanks for your relpy. I'll take all that into consideration, would a crack in the block in this location be a reason to scrap it and find a new block? Or would I be safe to carry on the rebuild using this block. The engine was apparently a good runner before i bought it.

RE: the bores, yes they're actually in an impressive condition if im honest, it's had some work at some point as I can still clearly see the cross hatched hone marks in the bores. It certainly doesnt need a rebore for the sake of cylinder wall health, rather it's gettign a rebore to suit larger pistons.

Heres some photos i took earlier of the cylinder wall and each piston.

Thanks, Dave
TMM

15th Feb 12 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's bigger pistons you're after then I see why you're looking down the route of a rebore - otherwise I'd leave alone.

If the block is cracked on the bolt hole then you'd need to get the machine shop to check it out before putting any time or cash into the block. I'd suspect it will be OK though - when the oil comes up the bolt like that they usually are. Pull the HG off and have a closer look.

Check the numbers on the piston crowns - they may already be oversize - I can't make them out on the photo
dragon2309

15th Feb 12 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks again TMM, on the larger resolution copies of those pics i've got here i can almost make out the markings on piston 1.

I think it says "85 87" or it says "85 97" Doesnt really mean a lot to me. How would i identify them as GM parts? Part number underneath?

Thanks for all your help. I'll run all this by the machine shop when it gets to that stage, bare blocks arent that hard to come by anyway if it comes to it.

Thanks
TMM

16th Feb 12 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Standard ones are 85.95 in 86mm bore
dragon2309

16th Feb 12 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, ok, when I'm next there i'll see if i can see the numbers any clearer, thanks man

New Poll