corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » A few issues since having new tyres fitted. Help wanted please.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author A few issues since having new tyres fitted. Help wanted please.
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Apr 12 at 17:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just had 4 new tyres fitted, all identical, all balanced. Tracking and alignment checked, was on +3 camber so was made right (-1). Steering wheel is no longer straight. Car now seems to pull to the left more but it may be a placebo effect as I may be subconsciously holding it straight, therefore making it go to the left slightly.

I'm also noticing since the new tyres were put there's more juddering under braking. Discs and pads were replaced no more than a year ago.

I've had the car lowered on wider wheels before with 4 new tyres that had been balanced and tracking done, and I didn't have these issues.

Thoughts?

MX5 Project Thread
HarleyMK

24th Apr 12 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some garages offer give warrenty when the do alignment so that if your not happy with it you can take it back and they'll do it again for free within so many days

Maybe try this
nibnob21
Premium Member

24th Apr 12 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I'll try taking it back.

Brake juddering is still a bit confusing though. Wasn't like it before.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

25th Apr 12 at 14:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took it back and they redid the tracking/alignment so the wonky steering wheel issue is sorted. Still don't know why there is more brake judder than before the tyres were changed. Any ideas?

MX5 Project Thread
dobbynufc

25th Apr 12 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The wheels might not bebalanced up properly
nibnob21
Premium Member

25th Apr 12 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They were all balanced two weeks ago when the tyres were fitted. Judder only occurs under slightly heavy braking from higher speeds and the judder is only through the brake pedal, not the steering wheel.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

28th Apr 12 at 22:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went for a longer drive to visit my girlfriend so was driving on the motorway. Was getting steering wheel wobble around 70mph, definitely seems like the wheels need rebalancing. Takes the piss, already taken the car back once to have the alignment redone. Also on the journey realised the steering wheel is slightly out the other way now!!! So I need to take the car back AGAIN for them to rebalance the wheels and redo the alignment AGAIN. I'd prefer a garage I trust to do the work but don't really want to spend £50 on something that I've already paid for.

MX5 Project Thread
Nic Barnes

29th Apr 12 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What brand of tyres have you bought?
nibnob21
Premium Member

29th Apr 12 at 11:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Firestone Multihawks

MX5 Project Thread
tom_ow

30th Apr 12 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

issues getting the wheel straight happen all the time, they should be happy to re do both tracking and balancing, see there probably isnt a problem witht the tracking its more likely the track is fine its just when they did the alignment to the rear wheels the laser was slightly out causing fronts to be parellel and rears to be parelell but them not fully adjusted in relation to each other... if your lowered alot then the issue could be your arches are catching the laser, im a mechanic myself and have got to get some smaller wheels so i can track the front with arch clearence and then put the 15s back on... i wouldnt worry to much just go in and say please do it right this time but dont go in all guns firing as the job can get worse....
nibnob21
Premium Member

30th Apr 12 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car isn't lowered at all. Wheels are 5.5J 14", tyre size 165/65/14 so there shouldn't be any issues with the alignment lasers.

To be fair they have been reasonable and friendly so far so I'm sure they'll be ok doing it again. Just a pain in the arse and a waste of my time. The alignment isn't out by much but as I have a 3 spoke steering wheel it's really easy to notice when it's out as the vertical spoke doesn't line up. End of the day I've paid them for a service so I'll keep going back until I get what I've paid for and I'm sure they'll understand that.

MX5 Project Thread
tom_ow

30th Apr 12 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry i thought you said the car was lowered! shouldnt be an excuse to take more then 3 different days to track it.... unless theres a worn component in the car that they have missed.....
nibnob21
Premium Member

1st May 12 at 07:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well 3rd time lucky hopefully. I'll take it back there later. After the first time the steering wheel was pointing left then when they corrected it they've over done it so now it points right lol. Didn't have any of these issues before so I just think it's them not being very good lol. But to have to take a car in 3 times to have something as simple as alignment and balancing done properly isn't very good in my eyes. Won't be using them again after they've sorted it..

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

1st May 12 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went back and got the front two wheels rebalanced. He admitted they were out and said that sometimes brand new tyres aren't 100% and so after a few miles the tread wears down slightly and evens out, causing the balance to go off. Anyway, everything seems to be sorted now, well better than before anyway!

MX5 Project Thread
tom_ow

10th May 12 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not perfect then,,,
nibnob21
Premium Member

10th May 12 at 20:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No not perfect. Got fed up when it, seemed that they still weren't balanced properly. Went to another garage who I've used before that seem far more professional and paid for all four wheels to be rebalanced again. Haven't been on a proper drive since but I think they're ok now. I had a good chat with the bloke and he was saying that there were no signs of damage to the wheel and excessive weights weren't needed for balancing so the fault probably lies with the other garage, not with buckled wheels etc. He said if I have any problems then bring the car back and they'll sort it.

MX5 Project Thread

New Poll