corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Monitor ground loop/interference

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Monitor ground loop/interference
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Dec 12 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My monitor connects to both my PC and my MacBook Pro via HDMI cable.

I have either headphones or speakers plugged into the 3.5mm jack at the back of the monitor.

If I am using my MBP, I have no background noise or whatever even if no sounds are playing, but if I am using the PC I can hear a constant 60hz kind of interference/ground loop/whatever in the background even if everything is set to mute.

Even if I remove the HDMI cable and both MBP & PC are powered off, I can still hear this poxy noise.

The monitor is powered via an external AC adapter (16w I think) and into that plugs in a standard kettle lead. Tried different kettle leads, and even used my trusty universal AC adapter but the noise is still there. Even tried plugging into different wall sockets, and using different HDMI cables.

I have two questions; how can I fix this, and why does this problem not appear when I am using my MBP?

I can get around this by just using the 3.5mm jack on the PC and not listening to audio via the HDMI, but I'm just completely stumped by this problem!

Ideas?
Balling
Premium Member

13th Dec 12 at 12:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the sound is there no matter if the PC is turned on or not, but the minute you connect your laptop it disappears?

Sam
Premium Member

13th Dec 12 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, that's what is so weird about it!

Obviously the headphones are plugged into the monitor still not into the MBP in case you were wondering.

New Poll