corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » MacBook Pro Issue

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MacBook Pro Issue
JonnyJ

User status: Offline
6th Jan 13 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a 6 year old or so Macbook here. About 18 months or so back it started to make a pretty awful "whirring" noise. Started out usually when it got warm but sometimes randomly started up as soon as i put it on. Im pretty sure it was the fan bearings (the noise sounds sort of similar to how it sounds when your wheel bearing starts to go on your car).

After about 5 months of it making the noise it randomly stopped but just these last few days its started up again. Its really annoying

Does it sound like im right in saying fan bearings? And why would it stop completely for a while then start up again?

Also is it fixable? Something i could attempt myself or send away job?

[Edited on 06-01-2013 by JonnyJ]
Marc

6th Jan 13 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isn't the casing sealed?
Dom

6th Jan 13 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably could ebay for a new fan and surround which you could then swap over. Have a look on Ifixit or youtube for dismantling, will give you a good idea if you're up to the job (shouldn't be that difficult to be honest).

Otherwise Apple service centre but you'll get torn a new one for the privilege.

[Edited on 06-01-2013 by Dom]
JonnyJ

6th Jan 13 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Probably could ebay for a new fan and surround which you could then swap over. Have a look on Ifixit or youtube for dismantling, will give you a good idea if you're up to the job (shouldn't be that difficult to be honest).

Otherwise Apple service centre but you'll get torn a new one for the privilege.

[Edited on 06-01-2013 by Dom]

Aye, kinda why i dont want to send it to them

That Ifixit is a good site Dom, cheers for that. Had a look at it, seems do-able but im sure they'll be something that i fuck up along the way

Any idea why it would stop whirring for a good year or so then randomly start up again?
ed

6th Jan 13 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of crap in the bearing might do that. In an old job I had a computer sent back because the GPU cooler was noisy on and off.
Balling
Premium Member

6th Jan 13 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dying harddrive can also make a whirring noise. Be sure to have up to date backup.

Put your ear to the machine and listen for where the sound is coming from. Can only really be hard drive, fan or optical drive.

Balling
Premium Member

6th Jan 13 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Isn't the casing sealed?

Sealed with what?

Marc

6th Jan 13 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As in the case is one piece aluminium. I wasn't aware that you could just unscrew it.
JonnyJ

6th Jan 13 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Dying harddrive can also make a whirring noise. Be sure to have up to date backup.

Put your ear to the machine and listen for where the sound is coming from. Can only really be hard drive, fan or optical drive.

Nah its not hard drive but its all backed up anyway from when my old External Hard drive died. Stored on my bros media server.

Think we're going to take it apart and give the fan a blast of compressed air. Looks a little bit tricky to get into but not too hard.
Balling
Premium Member

6th Jan 13 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
As in the case is one piece aluminium. I wasn't aware that you could just unscrew it.
6 years ago it wasn't one piece.

Also, of course you can disassemble it, how would you repair it otherwise?
The unibody Mac's have a detachable underside.

[Edited on 06-01-2013 by Balling]

Sam
Premium Member

6th Jan 13 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep it'll be the fans.

Slightly time consuming to replace, but pretty straight forward. If you're doing it yourself, the iFixit guides are a good help.
Sam
Premium Member

6th Jan 13 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
6 years ago it wasn't one piece.

Also, of course you can disassemble it, how would you repair it otherwise?
The unibody Mac's have a detachable underside.

[Edited on 06-01-2013 by Balling]

Unibody ones are great, only 10 screws and a alu cover stop you from easily changing the battery, fans, RAM and drives!
JonnyJ

6th Jan 13 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Yep it'll be the fans.

Slightly time consuming to replace, but pretty straight forward. If you're doing it yourself, the iFixit guides are a good help.

Looking at the comments on the Ifixit guides some girl says "Between this guide showing me how to open the laptop and remove the fan and another guide which recommended opening the fan and giving the metal pin inside a little clean"

Reckon its worth giving that a go first before ordering a new one? They arent too much, about £35 or so but every little helps and all that.

In case i struggle, would this be a job you could do Sam? If so, how much? U2U if you wish.
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jan 13 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can change a plug socket in your house, you can pretty much do anything regarding replacing components in computer equipment
JonnyJ

6th Jan 13 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never changed a plug socket mate
JonnyJ

7th Jan 13 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well ive ordered the tools i need to do the job. Hopefully they'll come this week and i can give it a go. The sound drives me nuts!
Sam
Premium Member

7th Jan 13 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Yep it'll be the fans.

Looking at the comments on the Ifixit guides some girl says "Between this guide showing me how to open the laptop and remove the fan and another guide which recommended opening the fan and giving the metal pin inside a little clean"

Reckon its worth giving that a go first before ordering a new one? They arent too much, about £35 or so but every little helps and all that.

In case i struggle, would this be a job you could do Sam? If so, how much? U2U if you wish.

Yeah I can do it if you get stuck mate - you can pay cash or we could exchange services

Let us know on here how you get on first though.
JonnyJ

7th Jan 13 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Noted Sam, cheers. You might receive it in bits like if this goes wrong

New Poll