corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Office 365 email migration "fun"

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Office 365 email migration "fun"
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Feb 13 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trying to move over a couple of users from one email system to O365, what a PITA!

O365 has an 'email migration' tool that you can use to migrate mailboxes via IMAP, great I thought what a timesaver.

NOT!

It skipped several hundred emails on the first user's migration (no reasons given whatsoever in the log file they offer) so I had to manually drag emails across using Thunderbird with both email accounts connected via IMAP.

This took me virtually all of today, made a start on mailbox 2 and not only has the migration tool they provided skipped a load of emails again but it's fucking well deleted most of the sodding contents of mailbox 1 and a load of emails from #2 mysteriously appeared in #1!

To say I am completely and utterly fucked off is a massive understatement!

Both mailboxes have different usernames and passwords for both the old server and O365 so I can't see it being me doing something wrong (I triple checked the CSV file you have to fill in with the log in details that you upload to the O365 website).

Fucking Microsoft! I will probably be up all night doing this now, and then I have to re-do the process for mailbox #1 again.

[/rant]
Andrew

3rd Feb 13 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not looked at 365 just yet but a guy I do some work for said it was a total ball ache to set up.

I can provide hosted exchange for £4 a mailbox if any help in the future.

Thunderbird to Outlook is not worth the hassle.
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Feb 13 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's only £2.60/mailbox from Microsoft...

The problem isn't so much with their service not working, it's more the fact their email migration tool is a piece of turd.

The plan B method I am now having to do (server 1 > download to TB > upload to server 2) wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't on some slow ass 8Mb ADSL connection.
Andrew

3rd Feb 13 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing in IT is straight forward

Will have a look at 365 tomorrow - that's a good price. I've only ever gone pst or Exchange to Hosted Exchange so not much help this evening sorry.

Best of luck for tonight Sam!!
Dom

3rd Feb 13 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had to do this for a load of users last week, there's a couple of ways of migrating. Although i just bodged it and exported each user mailbox (to .pst), set the Office 365 exchange account up in Outlook (2010 on the PCs, 2011 on Macs) and then imported the mail into the account - worked a treat

The headaches came when using Outlook 2011; absolute fucking shambles of a piece of software (importing doesn't import it to the hosted account, rather it creates a local inbox...WTF is that about! And contacts and calendars are fecked, infact i've yet to work how to import the calendars to the hosted account). Although it didn't help that Mail App is wank and OSX likes to do WTF it likes

Took me about 5 mins to set the PCs up (import pst into Outlook and then watch it sync with the hosted exchange; contacts and calendars work a treat as well) and that included the 4 mins drinking tea.

[Edited on 03-02-2013 by Dom]
John

3rd Feb 13 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've just done an exchange to 365 migration, few hundred users using the official MS tool, missed a random load of mail out. Just merging the pst's which have been extracted from exchange in outlook to fix it.

http://www.mailstore.com/ is good btw for exporting pop and imap accounts. I had to export 20k emails from gmail recently and it done a good job.
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Feb 13 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is though, those methods would still involve uploading the email into the cloud as it were, this is what the bugger is with my situation because of my slow broadband here.

Dom on my Mac I found the Mail app runs better than Outlook 2011 Well, it didn't crash all the time and in one occasion it trashed all my email in O365 so I sacked it off and used Mail ever since.

Still, 2 users isn't so bad, it could be worse - I could have a big fuck off network of users to migrate like a few months ago
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Feb 13 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
We've just done an exchange to 365 migration, few hundred users using the official MS tool, missed a random load of mail out. Just merging the pst's which have been extracted from exchange in outlook to fix it.

http://www.mailstore.com/ is good btw for exporting pop and imap accounts. I had to export 20k emails from gmail recently and it done a good job.

Thanks for the link John.
Dom

3rd Feb 13 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was only dealing with a handful of users which was one of the reasons i skipped on the proper route of migrating.

Sam - If doing a handful of users then just go the export and import route, will save you a lot of headaches. And if it's PCs/Outlook then it really is a piece of piss to sort out.

John - Good shout; looks like Mailstore could be really handy for future setups.
John

3rd Feb 13 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are using it check what you need to output as first. I had downloaded the home version and after downloading it all, which took ages, realised I required the server version and took a bit a fannying about to use the stuff I'd already downloaded.

30 day trial on the pay one as well which fulfilled my requirements.
Dom

3rd Feb 13 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Thing is though, those methods would still involve uploading the email into the cloud as it were, this is what the bugger is with my situation because of my slow broadband here.

Dom on my Mac I found the Mail app runs better than Outlook 2011 Well, it didn't crash all the time and in one occasion it trashed all my email in O365 so I sacked it off and used Mail ever since.

Still, 2 users isn't so bad, it could be worse - I could have a big fuck off network of users to migrate like a few months ago

Problem with the Mail app is that it's horrendously limited in functionality, even the users mentioned that, which is the reason of going with 2011. Yet to have issues with crashing, infact it's pretty stable, just the whole import process was completely cocked eyed compared to the Windows version - it's like Microsoft just wanted to make it awkward to piss people off; in fact i was about 5 mins away from scrapping OSX and just sticking Windows on the iMacs; would have saved me a few hours banging my head against the desk

Although if anyone knows how to import calendars from the imported/'stored on my computer' (contacts and mail can simply be drag dropped) to the hosted calendar in 2011 then i'll love you long time

[Edited on 03-02-2013 by Dom]
Bart

4th Feb 13 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sam, for that £2.60 what limits are there on MB size?
What about online archiving?
Dom

4th Feb 13 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
Sam, for that £2.60 what limits are there on MB size?
What about online archiving?

25GB mailboxes / 25MB attachments. There's a few other limits as well ie: sending/recipient limits.

There is archiving but it isn't unlimited (can't remember what the limit is off the top of my head) on Exchange P1, you need to go to P2 which is £5 p/m per mailbox.
pow
Premium Member

4th Feb 13 at 09:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who needs more than 25GB of mailbox
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

4th Feb 13 at 10:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People who send/recieve 25mb attachments
Sam
Premium Member

4th Feb 13 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On my own O365 account I have the E1 subscription which I think is like £5.20/month or thereabouts.

Used to have E3 for the Office 2010 but I downgraded as they only offer it for Windows users...

The £2.60/month one I don't think was around when I first got my one as I would have gone for that and saved myself a couple of quid a month!
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Feb 13 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We're running "hybrid mode" currently with about 1100 users hosted in our on-premise exchange servers and about 50 remote users have their mailboxes hosted in 365.

The exchange-o365 migration is fairly painfree, just do a remote mailbox move request and hope they don't have any items bigger than 25mb.

Unfortunately we've been slack with policing Exchange policy so most of our users have >25mb items left right and centre, making migrations into 365 a nightmare...

Oh, it should probably be called Office 363 based on their uptime.

Bart - we're just piloting their online archiving now, except we'll be using it to archive all our on-premise users too. No details/feedback for now, but just enabled it on my mailbox today with a 90day "filter" on my mailbox.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Sam
Premium Member

4th Feb 13 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I would have used Powershell to do the migration but the mailboxes were hosted on a Linux box.

Everything has been moved across now. Interestingly, it seemed to be mainly stuff in the main inbox for both mailboxes that got fucked up (and obviously most of mailbox #1 getting wiped).

I've got to do a similar migration soon but from one Linux box to another, I'm hoping that'll run more smoothly

New Poll