corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » TV HELP Gamers this way also...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author TV HELP Gamers this way also...
SXI - Matt

User status: Offline
10th May 13 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hold tight here need some advise

I currently have this TV http://www.whathifi.com/review/kdl-46hx853 which is superb, now i've reciently got back in to COD black ops 2. Since playing it I've been fairly shocking as in barely breaking even online with kills and deaths and some times double the deaths to kills.

Now had my mate round the other day for a all night cod session and he brought his gaming screen round, now I had a go on his setup (exactly the same as mine bar screen) and instantly was top of the board nearly every game and he went on my set up and was bottom or there abouts (he's unreal at the game) swapped back and it reverted I was shit and he was back to the top.

Now I'm putting it down to the screen as both on the same WIFI consoles ect, I've got mine in game mode is there something I'm missing or is it that this TV isn't great for gaming on? His screen is 4 years old and about £300 surely mine should be as good????

I've got a feeling it comes down to refresh rate as on his the game feels faster if I see some one I have time to react shoot aim ect were as mine if I see some one I'm normally dead before I have time to react feels ever so slightly slower. Now if i go back to the old modern warefare game its fine on my screen but that game is slower and not as smooth and fast as the new one due to the graphics ect in game, so must be this that's causing issues

Any idea why my TV isn't performing?

[Edited on 10-05-2013 by SXI - Matt]
Brett
Premium Member

10th May 13 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the gaming screen smaller? I don't play COD on my 60" TV and opt for a 19" screen instead for the same reason. I just feel like I can take it all in easier on the smaller one.
SXI - Matt

10th May 13 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah 22 or 24 inch I believe and mine is a 46, never thought of this could be that I guess
Balling
Premium Member

10th May 13 at 16:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Is the gaming screen smaller? I don't play COD on my 60" TV and opt for a 19" screen instead for the same reason. I just feel like I can take it all in easier on the smaller one.
I'm exactly opposite. My COD improved quite a bit by adding almost 20" of screen realestate.

Anyway, Matt your screen is benchmarked at 31 ms input lag which is by no means terrible and should be quite sufficient for gaming. I think a few Panasonics benchmark in low 20's but for a faster refresh I believe you'll need to go for a PC monitor.
To be honest input lag isn't something I've ever been majorly concerned with, but if you're "serious" about gaming it might be worth reading up on and perhaps consider getting a dedicated gaming monitor.

I know some of the better LCD monitors offer almost nonexistent input lag. Eizo is a brand worth looking at here.

Wrighty

11th May 13 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

console gaming myself, never had any issue with input lag on a big screen but if you want to do well ingame its worth maybe doing some home work on the whole thing.

oh and cable up dont game over wifi
Richie

11th May 13 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to make sure any post processing options on your TV are switched off, and any 3D related settings are off.

And as stated by Wrighty - don't game over Wifi and expect to be amazing. The latency introduced on Wifi will set you back more than input lag.... and there are variations in console revisions on the Wifi chipsets.
SXI - Matt

11th May 13 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ok I've got the console connected by cable now as the hub is next to the console

Ill have a flick through the setting probably just some thing on that shouldn't be, just frustrating it was so different.

Balling
Premium Member

11th May 13 at 08:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXI - Matt
Ill have a flick through the setting probably just some thing on that shouldn't be, just frustrating it was so different.
Like I said, a PC monitor can usually achieve a much lower input lag than a TV so if your friend uses a 24" PC monitor, there can be a difference.

How much difference 20-30 ms less input lag makes I couldn't tell. Undoubtedly there'll be some pro gamers to whom it can mean a world of difference. To a mere mortal however... hard to say.

Try adjusting the settings, as you say. Any "fancy" settings like eco mode, motion smoothing and dynamic contrast should be turned off. In general I'd say any setting that can be turned completely off, should be. Try exiting game mode as well.

SXI - Matt

11th May 13 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok cool ill try that pretty sure there all turned off ill double check though, guess it could also be down to the wifi got the cable now so will try it all again, ta
John

11th May 13 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also remember that settings will probably be input specific. If you've adjusted the settings when watching TV for example, the settings for the HDMI input the console uses will be different.
SXI - Matt

11th May 13 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just checked and it's currently set to auto ao adjust depending on input, I'll try in on normal so I can adjust for each input
John

11th May 13 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Auto adjust suggests it'll be doing lots of stuff to make the picture look 'better'.

There will probably be a thread on avforums for best gaming settings on that type of TV if you aren't sure yourself.

New Poll