corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Came off the road tonight

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Came off the road tonight
mike_1.2LS96

User status: Offline
   27th Nov 03 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit embarassed to admit I came off the road on the way home from work. Basically...Was overtaking a bus before a roundabout right is clear ahead a car is slowing, braked, but before I knew it the back end came out Did the typical thing to steer into the skid but without a chance hit the curb and kept the right side on the road and drove home. But the car is not handling right.

The tracking is out by a little, steering wheel at 1oclock and pulls to the left. I changed the wheel - big dent - for the spare. Went back looking for the wheel trim but not a trace.

Thing is, have to back to work tomorrow, do a taxi for a guy and then be delivery boy for Friday night.

Will it be alirght until Saturday to get fixed? I don't suppose theres anything I can do tonight to bodge it

blackula

27th Nov 03 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best case scenario, you can drive it and only suffer uneven tyre wear. Worse case, you might have banged the suspension so hard you damaged it enough for something to give out. Without looking at it, its anyone guess what can happen.
mike_1.2LS96

27th Nov 03 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had a long look at the whole suspenion and seems no visual damage. The wheels are pointing the same direction so I can only hope its easy to fix the tracking?

I'm still confused at how it happened. Anyway, could be worse.
James@CCC

27th Nov 03 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had kinda the same thing a couple weeks ago. i was driving home when a cained kerb and fucked the wheel. It looked ok, except if you looked from the side the wheel was further back in the arch and was even scrubbing a bit.
If yours is anything like this i recommend not drving it, and u'll need a new arm
James@CCC

27th Nov 03 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

suspension arm that is, not an actual arm
Born_corsa02

27th Nov 03 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id get it up on a jack and check you cant always see cracks in metal when the weight of the car is on it if you don't know wot ur lookin 4 don't risk it till its been checked properly
mike_1.2LS96

27th Nov 03 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well been driving a little tonight, no other problems other than the steering. The suspension seems in good shape perhaps the wheel took the whole impact or at least softened it.

Have a whole hour to spare tomorrow afternoon and will pop down to Vaux for an estimate. If they can fix it within 1 hour I'll be happier.

And one steel radial maybe a good idea.

Cheers guys.

I've been back to the crash site and it appears that I only came onto the grass about 1m or less. Shame it was those nasty vertical curbs and not the slanted ones on the dual C.
uprated

27th Nov 03 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a mate did this in his corsa going too fast round a wet corner, knackered a suspension arm, had to have about half a turn on for it to drive straight, £250 got it fixed
Red_SXi

28th Nov 03 at 02:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I done a similar thing, only mine was a 60mph and both my left wheels hit the kurb, both went under the bodywork of the car and it cost nearly 3k to get repaired
AK

28th Nov 03 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

before you fix it id fix you brake bias

wayne hiscock

28th Nov 03 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hit a curb and it wrote the car off - hence y i aint got another corsa dont trust em
Dicky_Morris

28th Nov 03 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had my car as an ins rite-off! my steering wheel was sitting slightly off and the car had bn curbed wen it was robbed! have the cv joint checked as mine had bent slightly!also do u have power steering?if not has the steering gone lighter? cos mine did!
mike_1.2LS96

28th Nov 03 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes the steering is slightly lighter when going straight, but harder turning...
Getting it fixed tomorrow. I think the rear wheel has been knocked too as the rear is sliding about a little....

Got news at work a bloke with a brand new Lexus (leather seats, sporty the works) and wrote his car off on a roundabout recently. That car was gorgeous...

Hears hoping they can cure with adjustments and not a new rack. The rear is more worrying.

We shall see, for tonight I am delivering indian meals. Wish me luck
broster
Premium Member

28th Nov 03 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did this too, well i came off a round about, took exit last min at about 60, then i went up the curb on the dual carrageway, managed to get away with buyin 2 new rims and tyres, but the suspension was never the same, got coil overs now and its all fine! did it ages ago
mike_1.2LS96

29th Nov 03 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well its all sorted. They've test drove it and corrected the tracking for free. Must be a lucky espace, cos I hit the curb at well over 40mph.

New Poll