corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What is the best wood to make enclosures out of?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What is the best wood to make enclosures out of?
cdcool1

User status: Offline
1st Mar 04 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad works at a builders merchants, so i can get more or less whatever i want. looking at a 1000W RMS sub in the summer, so just starting planning the install at the minute. is the stronger the wood the better? i know most people seem to use MDF, but i just want to know what the best stuff is, as i want the most out of the install.

cheers for the help
Sando

1st Mar 04 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

18mm MDF.
RichR
Premium Member

1st Mar 04 at 18:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u want lightwieght, but highly rigid - no flexing - if u want an amazing material u want a bi-axial plywood - would flex and u wouldnt need it so thick either - so u could make a lighter install for the same properties as a much heavier MDF install
RichR
Premium Member

1st Mar 04 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MDF is probably easiest to work with tho - and can sand to an almost glass finish once sprayed up
T5POL

1st Mar 04 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Birch ply-wood. Its lighter than MDF and has better acoustic properties than MDF. You do not need to put fibre-fill in the enclosure when you have the exact dimensions of the enclosure specified by the manufacturer.

[Edited on 01-03-2004 by T5POL]
cdcool1

2nd Mar 04 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so birch ply-wood would be better? i'll look into the price of it.

what do products like dynamat and brownbread do? do they reflect sound waves or absorb them? if they reflect them, would it be an idea to line the box with something like dynamt to improve the properties of the wood?
T5POL

2nd Mar 04 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I done a few searches and there are so many different types of plywood out there. most people on other forums have mixed views.

Birch plywood is lighter but it is harder to work with. it is more expensive than MDF but it has a higher resonant frequency than MDF.

Here is something I took off of a forum called speaker asylum that I found.

Well, one of the advantages of MDF for most loudspeakers is that it has a low FS (resonant frequency), so the energy from the mids and highs tends to be absorbed or reflected without exciting its resonant modes. MDF is a good choice for most speakers. But no-void plywood has higher stiffness (good), but also a higher resonant frequency, so some frequencies produced by the midrange or mid-woofer will cause it to resonate more easily (bad). Now, for a sub, it is the opposite. MDF that is extensively braced is not a bad choice for a sub, but the low FS of MDF will mean that its primary resonance tends to be in the bandpass of the sub's operating frequency. Conversely, no void plywood has a much higher FS that will NOT tend to be excited by the energy produced in the subs bandpass. And you can always use a bit of MDF bracing or some other damping material to eliminate even that small bit of resonance. Put it this way - 1 inch thick walls of no void plywood with a half inch sheet of MDF bonded to the inside & braced with some cross braces would be about as inert a cabinet as can be built for a sub. Much better than an all-MDF cabinet, no matter how well braced.

Alot of people mention a wood called Finland Birch ply which has no voids in it.

[Edited on 02-03-2004 by T5POL]
kev_corsa

2nd Mar 04 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cdcool1
so birch ply-wood would be better? i'll look into the price of it.

what do products like dynamat and brownbread do? do they reflect sound waves or absorb them? if they reflect them, would it be an idea to line the box with something like dynamt to improve the properties of the wood?

absorb
cdcool1

2nd Mar 04 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate, very helpful

New Poll