corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » fk coilovers

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author fk coilovers
chadjpr

User status: Offline
22nd Jun 04 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fitted them and everything is perfik
BAR one thing. Keep gettin a bangin noise from passenger rear? checked under car spring seems to be sat ok. Any ideas???
myke

22nd Jun 04 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i expect it's your exhaust clanking on the axle.

you can fit shorter rubbers on the rear end, twist the pipe at the joint slightly to raise it a little, or zip tie a piece of rubber or hard foam to the axle to deaden the noise.
AdiSRI

22nd Jun 04 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i havent had that, so id agree its the exhaust.

Are you running spacers on the front? I was but am not now!
Siberia

23rd Jun 04 at 07:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdiSRI
i havent had that, so id agree its the exhaust.

Are you running spacers on the front? I was but am not now!

and u can still get the spring platforms low enough?

i am deffo doing something wrong with these as i cant get the car right at all steering return to centre is fcked. understeer too.

i have the smaller adjustsprings on order next week so i will be dismantling them then i'm gonna take step by step picture of what i'm doing maybe u lot that have these can point me were i'm going wrong.
chadjpr

23rd Jun 04 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i have used spacers 3mm bought some BK 604s and they is wider than i thought
Siberia

23rd Jun 04 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how did you set the camber?
AdiSRI

23rd Jun 04 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

top bolt is elongated....

i dropped my car this far at the front

Originally i had to use 3mm spacers, but i was getting rubbing at the front. I have now had the camber set up professionally, (a right git i can tell you!!) and found that with it correct, u can remove the spacers and still clear the springs. I can adjust it to any height now without the need for spacers on 205/40/17 7.0" x 17" ET45 alloys, if i can do it so should u be able to.

My advice is get the camber/tracking done its a long annoying job but its worth it. Just find a local garage who is happy to have u watch / help like mine does, took us an entire afternoon to get mine right, not wanting the bill!!!!

[Edited on 23-06-2004 by AdiSRI]
Siberia

24th Jun 04 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right thats it i give up time for professional help

i know a chap that works for advance pitstop and he has a mint corsa so he knows his way around them. i'mm gonna bring it down to him on saturday and get this fecking thing setup right.

i must have taken these things out about 15 times and tryed them 15 different ways

your right there should be no reason y i cant do it if u have it with 17"*7 ET 45. Like mine are 16*7 et 45 so they should be even easyer.

one thing what parts did u use off the old suspension on the front? i mean the bit u transfered over to the top of the coilover.

Cheers for the help BTW
AdiSRI

24th Jun 04 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not sure on that m8, garage fitted em the first time.

Getting the camber and tracking right is a really nasty job, as adjusting one throws the other out, my advice is once u get it close GIVE UP!!!
Siberia

24th Jun 04 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my wheels rub on the suspension on full lock

and if i let the steering wheel go when the car is on full lock there is NO return to centre I.E the car would go round and round in circles

I'm not a stupid person and i know a good bit about cars i just cant figure it out were ive gone wrong. what i need is somebody else to have a go and see what they come up with. I just honestly cant figure out how u can get the spring platforms past the tyres and wheels on any camber setting. Square peg and round hole comes to mind

yeh i know once u adjust the camber u have to do the tracking i learnt this in the past 3 weeks i'm a bloody expert at doing tracking now i drove about 400 miles last week after changing the setup and the tyres are fine.

No i'm gonna let this chap i know have a go and see if he comes to the same conclusion as i have.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jun 04 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

7" wide and ET45?

Thats rather a long way inside the arch.
chadjpr

24th Jun 04 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was quite lucky took the car for the tracking to be done and got it bang on perfect the guy at the garage didnt even charge me for the pleasure! winner!

as for removing the top bit of the suspension, you need all of it, bar the the bottom piece which is where the previous spring sat,
AdiSRI

24th Jun 04 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on mine the tyre was only just touching the springs, moved it out a toch getting camber right and bam dont need spacers nemore
Dave Helium

24th Jun 04 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea i had this problem wheni got mine ages ago i just ajusted the camber out a bit till it didnt touch! and i dont get any rubbing atall apart from at the front over big bumps!!
chadjpr

24th Jun 04 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

silly question. WAT IS CAMBER ADJUSTMENT, and how?
Siberia

24th Jun 04 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have adjusted the camber every fecken way it can be adjusted so that the wheel dont rub the springs and its not rubbing now i have that sorted but i dont think the handling is what it should be and the feel through the steering is not right.

i dunno maybe i'm expecting to much but the car handled better on standard suspension

i'll get it sorted somehow

[Edited on 24-06-2004 by Siberia]
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jun 04 at 23:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You mustn't adjust camber just to give yourself clearance between the wheel and strut.
Siberia

24th Jun 04 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
You mustn't adjust camber just to give yourself clearance between the wheel and strut.

Yeh i've come to that conclussion and i'm sick of having to re adjust the tracking everytime i change it

gonna get the camber set to the correct setting on saturday then see if i can lower it as is or if i need to get other helper springs or put the spacers i have in although i'd prefare to leave the spacers out.

this was taken with the camber adjusted a good bit out
Jambo

24th Jun 04 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is puttin me off again

Whats the deal? Why cant u adjust the camber so it clears the wheel?

What effect does it have on hanbdling/tyre wear
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Jun 04 at 00:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Why cant u adjust the camber so it clears the wheel?
Because then your car looks like this, bad in a straight line and even worse in a corner.

Jambo

25th Jun 04 at 02:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah i see.

But surely you dont have to adjust it that much to clear the strut?

God these coilovers seem like muccho hassle, thin i may just get bilsteins again
Siberia

25th Jun 04 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Why cant u adjust the camber so it clears the wheel?
Because then your car looks like this, bad in a straight line and even worse in a corner.

the most positive camber adjustment u can get on these is so the wheels are dead straight i had them adjusted out fully and checked this with a spirit level.

however when ya go around a corner the wheel leans over and the tyre trys to go under it and it bacially feels like crap.

@ Jambo..... i wouldnt let my experience with these put you off. i seem to be the only one whos having the problems so it must be something i'm doing wrong.

another question are all types of wheels the same E.G if i have a set of dare v1's that are 16*7 et 45.... will this be the size as a set of MM T12's 16*7 ET45. I would say yes of course they are but i'm just trying to look at it from all angles. Also the reason i ask this is cos everyone has had feck all problems with these appart from me and Cheekycorsa. Funnly enough we have the exact same wheels in the exact same size and the exact same offset.
AdiSRI

25th Jun 04 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My front camber is set to roughly 0.75deg neg which i am told is the factory correct setting for the car, at this amount id doesnt touch the tyre for me....

originally i had 1.75 on left, and 2.35 on right and they both touched and i needed spacers...
AdiSRI

25th Jun 04 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Miglia wheels seem a lot more 'chunky' than some others e.g. dare, so maybe there are differences m8, its possible.
Siberia

25th Jun 04 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdiSRI
Miglia wheels seem a lot more 'chunky' than some others e.g. dare, so maybe there are differences m8, its possible.

hrmm but thats like going down the diy shop and asking for a 8ft lump of timber 4 inches by 2 inches and them giving you a 5 ft length in 3inches by 2 inches

i dunno fecken cars i can only laugh at this point.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll