corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Droning at the rear....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Droning at the rear....
Siberia

User status: Offline
18th Feb 05 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a droning sound coming from the rear of the car for a few weeks now..... am i right in thinking this is fecked wheel barings?

[Edited on 18-02-2005 by Siberia]
Rileysport

18th Feb 05 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you are... enjoy
Paula Corsa

18th Feb 05 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would think so. Mine sounded like that and it was a wheel baring.
suchcorsa1.2_8v

18th Feb 05 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah deffo wheel bearing, does it get louder as you go faster?
arf_SRi

18th Feb 05 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much is it to replace a wheel bearing?
Siberia

18th Feb 05 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by suchcorsa1.2_8v
yeah deffo wheel bearing, does it get louder as you go faster?

yeah stupid thing... down the motor factors after work so will give me something to do tomorrow...
Rileysport

18th Feb 05 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you're going insane over the weekend then check your drums too, if they're dodgy you may as well sort them out at the same time
Siberia

18th Feb 05 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fook that ive spend over 1500 quid on the car this week the drums can wait

[Edited on 18-02-2005 by Siberia]
K2 GTi

18th Feb 05 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pics?
Rileysport

18th Feb 05 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'll only have to swap the bearings over again later, and dont buy cheap ones or you'll go through em like george bush through a middle eastern oil producing country
TOMAS

18th Feb 05 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sure they are torqued correctly mine grumbled a bit but that was cos they had worn a little, just nip em up a little tighter, they have some wear adjustment in them. Do the castle nut up until you can just move the spacer with a screwdriver without levering it.
CorsAsh

18th Feb 05 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My reply from another thread about rear wheel bearings...

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
I've done it prob about 3 or 4 times...

Costs about £20 tops for everything you need, usually more like £15...

Take off wheel, remove the little cap thing you see in the middle of the drum with a screwdriver. You'll see a castellated nut underneath with a split pin thru it. Take the pin out and the nut off along with the toothed washer underneath.

You'll now be able to remove the drum from the hub. If it doesn't wanna come off easily, pop your wheel back on, put a couple of bolts in and pull on the wheel, will come off a lot easier.

The front bearing will just drop out... you will have to prize off the rubber oil seal from the back of the drum (you'll know what I mean when you see it, round rubber washer thing in the middle) to get the inner bearing out.

Once you done this, use a flat bladed screwdriver and hammer to tap out the housings from the drum. If you clean away all the grease, you'll see a notch in the casting on the drum where you can get the screwdriver into to tap out the housing. Do this with both housings.

Then get your new housings, put some lubricant round their outer face, and on the inner face of the drum where they go, and drift them into place slowly. Take care not to let them go in at an angle, as this'll be a pain in the arse to straighten out.

Once you got the housings in, put grease onto them and around each bearing. Pop the bearings into place, then replace the rubber oil seal on the inside, usually get a new one with bearing kit. Put the drum and new bearings on, put the toothed washer back, then screw on the castellated nut ***FINGER TIGHT ONLY*** or your car will munch through your bearings in a matter of weeks (believe me, I know!)

When you've put the nut on, put the split pin back in (if the nut doesn't line up with the hole in the axle, unscrew it til it does. Then replace the grease cap, put your wheel back on, job done!

Don't think I missed anything, good luck! If you're still not sure, you can borrow a Haynes manual from local library usually...

New Poll