corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » ADSL router VPN end point.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ADSL router VPN end point.
Paul

User status: Offline
20th Dec 05 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right bods,

Need some product advice, i'm after a wireless adsl router that will do the following:

Support multiple WAN IP addresses, about 8 will do the trick.

VPN end point for remote users.

802.11B/G access point.

Any ideas as i'm stuck now.

Cheers

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

20th Dec 05 at 07:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMHO.

I wouldnt trust one device to do all of that, VPN can be such a picky bastard at times.

Depends on your bugdet I guess...

A Cisco PIX firewall could do the VPN tunnel/server bits and utilize the IP addresses. But it cannont do the ADSL modulation so you'd need a simple ADSL router for that (£30 netgear style device).

netgear/linksys/dlink do decent wireless equipment...

I'm blabbing now, I really need to know your budget before I can spec anything
Paul

20th Dec 05 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinking PIX at first but then again i work with them day in day out and they aren't the most friendly of things at the best of times. I am coming to the same conclussion as you in that its nearly imposible to find the features i want in one box.

Although I have also found this ....

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600v.html

Although would you honestly trust a company with a cheap website that has been written in MS word ?
willay
Premium Member

20th Dec 05 at 09:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont get me wrong, there are devices out there that will provide all the things listed, but I wouldnt reccomend it for commercial use.

PIX's are fine, just dont upgrade to 7.x
Paul

20th Dec 05 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry its for home use

If it was for industrial use it'd probably be a 4500 with a pix module.

Which is a bit excessive for home use

[Edited on 20-12-2005 by Paul]
willay
Premium Member

20th Dec 05 at 13:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

then go for a shitty all in one then, unless you have the cashola to pay on some decent stuff.

why bother with a 4500? cat6500's is where its at. But then again I wouldnt be bothering with the firewall modules, rather keep it seperate1
Nismo

20th Dec 05 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
VPN can be such a picky bastard at times.

MPLS is the way forward

providing you have a large bank account
Paul

20th Dec 05 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MPLS isn't all that expensive to implement.
willay
Premium Member

21st Dec 05 at 07:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that shiz is getting about.
Paul

22nd Dec 05 at 01:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have ended up going with one of these:

Prestige 662HW 91-004-371003

125Mbps Wireless 4 x 10/100 ADSL 20 Tunnel VPN Security Router with Anti-Virus Engine
High performance ADSL Security Wireless Router.
Intergated Anti-Virus Engine.
Embedded high performance SPI Firewall with 1 x DMZ Port
Hardware-accelerated VPN termination for up to 30 Tunnels.
Up to 125Mpbs Wireless using 802.11g+ mode
Dial-Backup through external serial port for ISDN TA/Modem
Remote Management.
4-Port Ethernet 10/100Mbps Switch.
Easy to install and use Zero Configuration.

ZyXEL's Prestige 662HW security gateway is a powerful, all-in-one ADSL modem/router for SOHO and SMB applications as well as branch offices. The Prestige 662HW features Anti-Virus technology, allowing auto-detection/elimination of viruses and worms from e-mail, Web browsing and File transfer.

The Prestige 662HW is a high performance future proof ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ compatible router allowing speeds up to 12Mbps (ADSL2) or 24Mbps (ADSL2+), the Prestige 662HW offers higher data transfer rates and better bandwidth than traditional ADSL enabled gateways.

Compatible with ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+. Approved for use in the United Kingdom.
Anti-Virus engine built in to router
Maximum flexibility, 4 x 10/100 Ethernet, 2 x Phone, 1 x Serial and 1 x ADSL port.
802.11g and g Wireless compatible. Up to 125Mpbs using 802.11g+ with ZyXEL G-162 Card.
Full Stateful packet inspection (SPI) Firewall and Hardware-accelerated VPN termination up to 30 tunnels and 1 x configurable DMZ port.
Dial Backup, Traffic Redirect and Media Bandwidth Management.
Easy to install and manage via web interface zero configuration.
2 Year warranty.
Licenses

Anti-Virus License:

1 Year Anti Virus Licence is included.

91-995-002001 ZyXEL iCard G-Great Anti Virus 1 Year Licence (order one for each additional year).

Content Filtering License:

No content filtering included. Order below to get 1 Year Licence

65-101-312004-1 ZyXEL Cerberian Conrtent Filtering iCard 1 Year License.

Higher-speed Internet Access

The Prestige 662HW is a high performance ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ gateway that allows small and medium offices to have Internet access and LAN-to-LAN applications over existing copper lines. With speeds of up to 12Mbps (ADSL2) or 24Mbps (ADSL2+), the Prestige 662HW offers higher data transfer rates and better bandwidth than traditional ADSL enabled gateways.

ZyXEL "SuperSpeed" Technology

Featuring ZyXEL’s proprietary 802.11g+ SuperSpeed Technology, Prestige 662HW breaks the speedometer with astounding 125Mbps rate when paired with SuperSpeed-capable clients such as ZyXEL G-162 or G-360, significantly surpasses the 54Mbps 802.11g and 11Mbps 802.11b standard.

Network-based Anti-Virus

The Anti-Virus scan engine inside the Prestige 662HW provides users with a greater range of network security. It detects and eliminates virus and worm attacks from network entry points by scanning each incoming and outgoing e-mail (SMTP/POP3), as well as traffics from the Web (HTTP) and file transfer (FTP). Base on automatic signature updates, it provides real-time network protection against viruses and protects clients that are not already equipped with Anti-Virus measures.

Robust Firewall Security and Enhanced VPN Performance

Based on Stateful Packet Inspection and Denial of Service (DoS) features, Prestige 662HW provides state-of-the-art Firewall performance and robust security to defend against hackers, network intruders and other threats. Furthermore, an ASIC DES accelerator enhances VPN performance to a level higher than ever.

Zero Configuration

The Zero Configuration technology employs in Prestige 662HW allows users to hook up a DSL connection without hassle. The user-friendly design built in the gateway is OS-independent, thus supports all operating systems on the host PC.

Auto Fail-over and Fall-back WAN Backup Solution

The Prestige 662HW features a Fail-over and Fail-back WAN Backup Solution for complete reliability. When the DSL connection fails, traffic is forwarded to either a backup ISDN or analog modem to maintain data exchange. When the DSL connection is re-established, traffic will be fully restored. Prestige 662HW also performs backup functions by redirecting traffic to a specific gateway to ensure availability of the Internet connection. The WAN Backup Solution saves device maintenance cost and reduces loss from daily operation.

Wider-range Wireless LAN Connectivity

The wireless performance of Prestige 662HW can be further enhanced by the detachable Reserve SMA antenna. The antenna increases the signal coverage to reach beyond the wired network for mobility and flexibility.

Cheers for the help peeps.

Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Dec 05 at 01:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prestige 662Hblah blah blah

125Mbps Wireblah blah blah

Very nice
willay
Premium Member

22nd Dec 05 at 07:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds pretty good.
Nismo

22nd Dec 05 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we supply them

actually not all that bad.
Paul

22nd Dec 05 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who do you work for Nismo ? Almost future proof

[Edited on 22-12-2005 by Paul]
Nismo