corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Speedo Cable. should it have a grommet on bulkhead and why is it so loud?!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Speedo Cable. should it have a grommet on bulkhead and why is it so loud?!
Stokie Dave

User status: Offline
28th Dec 05 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car: 1993 Corsa B 1.4 Flair

Cable driven speedo.

Right, me speedo cable snapped so I brought a replacement cable and had a garage fit it for me.

Since having it back, the speedo is SO loud its stupid... dude at garage said "ah just turn your radio up" after we went back to question why it was so loud literally after driving off... nice. Anyway I had a look where its routed as we have a feeling the way its routed may cause it to vibrate through the clocks hence the audible clicking and rattling noise it generates.

The routing doesnt look too bad.

Finally where it enters the bulkhead, theres no grommet.. just a big hole where the cable goes through into the dash... 1) should there be a grommet here? (see pic) and 2) could the fact the cable is resting against the metalwork rather than in a rubber grommet, be causing vibrations through to the clocks... as when the inner cable is spinning, it may be causing the cable to literally bounce up and down off the metalwork hence audible vibrations in the car via the clocks?

Mad theory but hey ya have to ask lol

mattyross

28th Dec 05 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine does this, an annoying fast clicking sound behind the dash- under certain acceleration.
always wondered what it was, seems we both have the same problem
Stokie Dave

28th Dec 05 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine just does it all the time! lol even from 0, gradually gets louder till about 35 then the same above that... Its loud enough to be heard over my stereo when thats pushing some volume aswell, its silly loud.

Annoying tho aint it! The last one made a bit of a rubbing sound but soon drowned out with the radio on quiet or if the fans are on... so that I dont mind but annoying LOUD clicking is baaad lol
broster
Premium Member

28th Dec 05 at 17:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sod that take it back and get them to fix it!
Stokie Dave

28th Dec 05 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea gonna turn up tomorrow morning and surprise them I think.. just getting some theory backed up beforehand lol.. its G.I motors, you probs know em dude.
broster
Premium Member

28th Dec 05 at 17:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant say i remember them to be honest dude, been so long since i went to a garage near shrewsbury, i used to use a little garage in baschurch, G T Harpers, good place....
RKS

28th Dec 05 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster

would you take a car back to someone that said ignore that noise turn your radio up?
Steve
Premium Member

28th Dec 05 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

normally it does that if the cable isnt pushed into the clocks properly, or the gear is worn out in the clocks
Stokie Dave

28th Dec 05 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried an old set of clocks (got SRi clocks in now) and it does the same, thought about the cable not being plugged in properly but tried it a few times and given it a proper solid shove and to no avail
broster
Premium Member

28th Dec 05 at 17:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --Rikki--
quote:
Originally posted by broster

would you take a car back to someone that said ignore that noise turn your radio up?

so youd take their advice yes?
broster
Premium Member

28th Dec 05 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it plugged into the gear box properly?
Stokie Dave

28th Dec 05 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I shall have to go and check that one

[Edited on 28-12-2005 by Stokie Dave]
broster
Premium Member

28th Dec 05 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

may not be located properly.....take it out then put it back
bubble

28th Dec 05 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when fitting new cables u must grease the part that goes into the clocks otherwise they sort of rattle behind speedo head at about 50mph
Stokie Dave

28th Dec 05 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah I will do that anyway then.. but should there be the grommet there?

I aint sure its just grease though as it even rattles when stationary, plus it does it without clocks on at all lol
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

28th Dec 05 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i changed mine and it rattled like fcuk, was a cheap cable from motor factors. paid 30 odd quid for a GM one and it was fine.
Stokie Dave

28th Dec 05 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah mines a cheapie.. I aint happy about them not putting a gromit on though or reusing me old one if poss...

Taking it back in the morning to get it fitted properly and if its still dead rattley it'll have to do till I can afford a GM one. Spent 500 quid fixing this car in 2 months, cant afford any more now lol
bubble

28th Dec 05 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stokie Dave
Yeah mines a cheapie.. I aint happy about them not putting a gromit on though or reusing me old one if poss...

Taking it back in the morning to get it fitted properly and if its still dead rattley it'll have to do till I can afford a GM one. Spent 500 quid fixing this car in 2 months, cant afford any more now lol

i still cant believe u haven't come to me------dave u need smacking. i can get u a spankin new one for nothing!
Stokie Dave

28th Dec 05 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doh lol i keep forgetting where ya work! if this one is still shit I will come and pester ya lol
shrews corsa

29th Dec 05 at 02:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

G.I. Motors lol asking for trouble there

hope ya get it sorted
Stokie Dave

29th Dec 05 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been down this morning and we've all had a play... gonna swap it for a GM cable now I think as we couldnt permanently stop the rattling and as soon as you even budge the cable, the grommet falls out (we found it jammed behind the alternator).

Back to square one and 35 quid wasted lol
shrews corsa

29th Dec 05 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should not pay a 2nd time as first job was not upto requirements

New Poll