corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Would you like an Networking job in the City of London?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Would you like an Networking job in the City of London?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Jun 06 at 18:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok this is weird but..

I may soon be in the position of looking for a junior to join the small company I work for, what I do is consulting/configuration/support for small+medium trading firms/floors for the Futures Market.

My ideal person would be in their late teens or early twenties, you'd be a geek not a nerd, you would have a very good feel for computers, possibily built your own machine sitting under your desk right now, you'd be able to tell me the biggest difference between TCP and UDP, you'd possibly read Slashdot, you'd be within or near London, you'd like a challange, you'd be able to use Google like a ninja uses its sword, you would be a team player, and you would not smell like a horse.

I'm not after someone with enough certifications to choke a horse.

Pay would be between 12 and 16, thats me guessing what my boss would offer you.

If you are interested, post some info about yourself, where you are from and what makes you different from every other lad who does a IT course at college. I'm not going to garuntee anything, at all - I'm gathering interest. Who knows, spend 5 minutes posting the perfect reply and you might get a u2u asking to come in for a informal interview.

[Edited on 23-06-2006 by willay]
PaulW

23rd Jun 06 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be fair, you'd be looking at about 13.5k minimum starting if its full time hours for the job...

I managed to get my wage up'd from starting of 13k to 19k given what I could actually do and what I did for the job I was in, then jibbed it in to become a student to be fair though I did get bored with it as it was still too simplistic...

poverty =

But for people looking at work in this area, its a good starting point to begin, and helps get your foot on the ladder, which can only lead up & up (if you work for it)

[Edited on 23-06-2006 by PaulW]
willay
Premium Member

23rd Jun 06 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm guessing the pay, but my boss isnt a total cunt so he isnt going to do you. He would base the pay on your experience etc.

The hours at the moment are:

6:30AM to 2:30PM
or
10-00am to 6-00pm

As we do consultantcy, we always get nice bits of kit to play with and configure. This week I'm currently designing and configuring a trading network in singapore using remote access and email.

[Edited on 23-06-2006 by willay]
PaulW

23rd Jun 06 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like fun there!

Think given the pay and location, it would be best suited to someone already within the London area, as I doubt someone would uproot and move for it...
willay
Premium Member

23rd Jun 06 at 18:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah sod moving, but I'm in Essex and my current commute involves a drive, a train and a walk into my office. 1hr door to door.
Dom

23rd Jun 06 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would love something like that, but i decided on uni instead to do music Looks like a brilliant job though, whats the job description though? I mean, is any qualifications (know php/asp or C/ASM/Pascal/Python/Basic lol) needed what so ever or is just to be a geek with computers?

Money seems a bit tight though, considering you can get a tech support monkey job earning 16kmin and most people will have to commute so take 2k off for the trains etc

But good luck finding someone willay

p.s - one of the main difference between TCP and UDP is that TCP creates a connection with the client/server whereas udp doesn't and therefore as long as the connection sustains you can guarentee that data will always be sent, unlike with UDP. There is also less overheads with UDP as connection isnt required, useful for sending small packets of data

[Edited on 23-06-2006 by Dom]
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

23rd Jun 06 at 19:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If only I lived closer i'd be tempted!

Seem to fit the criteria apart from I read the register and not slashdot

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
willay
Premium Member

23rd Jun 06 at 19:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all travel is paid for.

dom you didnt have to give the tcp/udp anwser, but thanks mate

tech support monkey deserves 16k because its mindless dribble, this is a job in a niche market that is neverending.
Dom

23rd Jun 06 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems like a top job if travel is paid for though, you dont happen to have summer/xmas placements do you?

Can you advance in the company though willay? Are pay increases offered/Bonuses? <- just some general questions that could be useful if anyone is thinking about it.

Youre right though willay, monkey support is terrible - did it for 3months for a big ISP and it is completly boring

No worries about the TCP/UDP - if you want, i could also tell you about speaker line arrays and how a reverb algorithm works?

[Edited on 23-06-2006 by Dom]
Dan B

23rd Jun 06 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£12-16k, in London, to be a networking/systems "consultant"?

I was on £16k as a 1st Line support-monkey, up here in the cheap-n-cheerful north! I'm now on quite a bit more than that, as a 3rd Line (NOC) Engineer, which is nice, because it means not having to explain which way up the mouse goes on a daily basis!
Russ

23rd Jun 06 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that pay is shit especialy for london
willay
Premium Member

23rd Jun 06 at 21:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan B
£12-16k, in London, to be a networking/systems "consultant"?

I was on £16k as a 1st Line support-monkey, up here in the cheap-n-cheerful north! I'm now on quite a bit more than that, as a 3rd Line (NOC) Engineer, which is nice, because it means not having to explain which way up the mouse goes on a daily basis!

the pay is for a usual junior network administrator pay, the company offers consulting
willay
Premium Member

23rd Jun 06 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
that pay is shit especialy for london

junior role, and you dont need experience. I think its good for that.
drax

23rd Jun 06 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im 19 in kent, 50 mins away on the train from victoria, ive built many a pc, and often diagnose and provide solutions to problems involving hardware and computer technical issues!

Im a teamplayer, and a problem solver!

Id like to know more, like what kind of areas and scenarios would be faced?
dave17

23rd Jun 06 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

16K is quite a deacent wage for a junior. IF the travel is payed for
willay
Premium Member

24th Jun 06 at 11:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drax
Im 19 in kent, 50 mins away on the train from victoria, ive built many a pc, and often diagnose and provide solutions to problems involving hardware and computer technical issues!

Im a teamplayer, and a problem solver!

Id like to know more, like what kind of areas and scenarios would be faced?

We are currently located at Cannon Street which has its own train station with connections into Kent.

Every day differs to be honest, we all have projects to get on wether they are internal or external. You would be exposed to purely Cisco networking equipment, mainly 3750's,2600's,2800's, PIX's , couple of 6500's (switches and routers..)

We look after back end trading services running Solaris 8&10 and Windows 2000, we also have our own diagnostics boxes onsite running FreeBSD. You would get exposed to all of this.
willay
Premium Member

24th Jun 06 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dave17
16K is quite a deacent wage for a junior. IF the travel is payed for

My travel has been paid for since I started 2 years ago, roughly £220 a month.
dave17

24th Jun 06 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well its a good wage them
drax

25th Jun 06 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much background knowledge would be needed prior to this to be considered? I suppose the more you know the easier it is for everyone, but I assume exposing = training = learning = experience anyway.

[Edited on 25-06-2006 by drax]
PhilC

25th Jun 06 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be interested if I wasn't in LIVERPOOL!!
Bart

25th Jun 06 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would there be any chance of a pay rise if we was to gobble a few people off?
GREG 1

26th Jun 06 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id be interested but im an old fart and Willay doesn't like me
drax

28th Jun 06 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any more info on this or are you expecting the perfect post before replying?
Nismo

28th Jun 06 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Willbert check out easynets new Etherstream , might be handy for the guys you work with/for

http://www.easynet.net/solutions/solutions_solutionspage.asp?id=1396

New Poll