corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 4-5k Home Entertainment Budget

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 4-5k Home Entertainment Budget
Cosmo

User status: Offline
31st Aug 06 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a bit of money a while back and was going to put it towards a car, but no point when Im living in the city centre having a decent car so thought Id spend it on a TV and stuff.

Soooo...for around 4-5k what would you suggest getting. TV, surround set-up, etc.
abdus

31st Aug 06 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bang and olufsen?

or

video projectors:

Infocus ScreenPlay 7205DLP

my next sound system:

Yamaha YSP1

http://www.cinenow.com/uk/play-video-81.html
http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=YAMA-YSP800-BLK

or a lifestyle bose

[Edited on 31-08-2006 by abdus]
jamied

31st Aug 06 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wont get much bang and olufsen for 4.5k
abdus

31st Aug 06 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 306CORSA
wont get much bang and olufsen for 4.5k

just a suggestion

John

31st Aug 06 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice 40" Sony LCD, seperate amp and speakers(don't get an all in one kit for that pricerange).
Put 500 aside for a ps3 because you might as well get blu-ray for the hd tv.
If you get decent amp and speakers that'll be most of that budget gone.
--Dave--
Banned

31st Aug 06 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get the Sony Bravia KDL40V2000 mate.

40" of pure shexwee.

Will set you back £2k in the shops, can get it for around £1600/1700 online.

Can't fault mine.
John

31st Aug 06 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

B&O have just brought out a new beocenter but its a couple of hundred under 3k and only a 23" screen.
John

31st Aug 06 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.avforums.com/
drunkenfool

31st Aug 06 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pioneer VSX-AX4 around £750, 7.1 channel, THX certified, HDMI switching, auto sound setup with provided microphone, and pretty damn sexy.

Ive done some research on speakers too including listening to them set up in a dedicated room (which unless you really dont have time i recommend you do too) and decided on these for my system at home.
Bowers & Wilkins MT20 (around £1150)

I chose these for my mum's setup...
(Monitor audio Radius series, about £1200)

They don't seem quite as loud as mine but definately loud enough, and the sound quality is fantastic.

My dad has the Mordant Short Avant package with the fronts on the right and the di-polar rears on the bottom left of this pic (and the centre obviously)

Again around £1200 but that was about 3 years ago now, fantastic speakers again and ideal for a slightly bigger room.

As for the picture side of things, depends what you want to do. Personally I'd go for a plasma and projector with remote controlled screen with your budget though

I got the panasonic PT-AE900 projector which set me back about £1500, but im incredibly pleased with it. LCD's aren't as bright as DLPs but check them out for yourself to see what you think, i noticed the "rainbow effect" on the DLPs i tested out and after the first time i noticed it, i couldnt stop seeing it and it really spoiled the films for me You can get a really good home cinema projector for around £1k now, and electric screens can be bought for around £200 including a remote, which leaves around £1500 for the plasma and cables. Don't skimp on the cables either If you want any more advice I'll do my best

[Edited on 31-08-2006 by drunkenfool]
drunkenfool

31st Aug 06 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah and check out this thread too if you can budget for a wireless media centre (obviosuly only if you have need for it) as the one I set up at my mum's place is a fantastic bit of kit
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=304671
Dom

31st Aug 06 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no offence but bang and olufsen aren't exactly brilliant for 50k on a plasma, i can think of a few better screens

Buy a decent panasonic plasma (about 2k) then ebay it for an Arcam dolby digital processor (about 800-1k 2nd hand), then arcam/rotel power amps (around 700 quid 2nd hand), usually stereo so need 3 of those but if you have the cash one per speaker mono blocked, then finish it off with a decent set of A&Es or B&Ws, thats if you have enough cash spare

As for getting a project, if you have a dedicated room it's probablly worth it, but 5k will just get you a decent CRT jobby (which are still the best projectors to get if you have the money as some can be around 15k+)

Oh and good info from drunken and the boys as usual - worth getting a few copies of what hifi/cinema also
Tarrantino

31st Aug 06 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mordant Short they are the daddies imo

check out this site tho clicky

help that helps
Cosmo

31st Aug 06 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
I chose these for my mum's setup...
(Monitor audio Radius series, about £1200)

They don't seem quite as loud as mine but definately loud enough, and the sound quality is fantastic.

My parents have these (in glass black finish) and they are great quality. Would def get them again myself TBH.
drunkenfool

1st Sep 06 at 01:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then the speakers are sorted Def run them with the covers off if they aren't likely to get damaged, look sooo much better Her's are running from that amp i recommended and i really can't fault it at all, the surround sound quality even fools my dogs into thinking there is someone/something there that is just on tv
Russ

1st Sep 06 at 06:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

having heard loads of B+O stuff, i was hardly blown away for the price.
get the new toshiba 42"LCD (42wlt66)as it supports upto 1920x1080 res. http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/products.nsf/pages/lcdplasma-lcdfreeview-42wlt66?opendocument&promo=1

as for sound setup, just get a decent seperates hifi and connect it to tv. or buy bose.
John

1st Sep 06 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sony will blow that out of the water.
Although if getting a tv that big and that res i'd look for one that supports 1080p and not just 1080i, although I'm not sure what the score is with that atm.
Dom

1st Sep 06 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thought there wasn't any cameras out at the moment to even caputre at 1080p?
did hear about sony/canon doing development on one, but that was start of the year. But it requires some serious bandwidth and screens have only just starting to be manufactured that can support 1080p - believe samsungs new screens will handle it!
John

1st Sep 06 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blu ray discs are all 1080p afaik.
If not all at least most are.
There are definitely 1080p screens out atm but i'm not sure what ones they are.

New Poll