corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » timing question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author timing question
mattievRS

User status: Offline
17th Jan 07 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its head gasket time and i wondered if i actually need to set piston no 1 to top dead centre?If i mark up both top pulleys and the crankshaft where they rest and mark the block in the same way would this not be enough to ensure the timing is spot on?
PaulW

17th Jan 07 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh I never lined them up when taking the head off, i know its not what your supposed to do, but your timing it back up when it goes back together anyway so whats the deal??

Just set the timing mark to 45-deg TDC and take the belt off, least then if you turn a cam by mistake it wont catch a piston or anything when taking it all apart...

Line it all up though before re-fitting and use a locking kit if its a 16v, or just use an allen key to jam the cam pulley if its an 8v when refitting to TDC position, and ensure the crank position is TDC too (Piston 1 at top)

then just make sure you fit the belt tight and get the new tensioners set right...

turn the engine over about 2-3 times, re-check the timing make sure its all lined up correct, and go from there.
mattievRS

17th Jan 07 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
tbh I never lined them up when taking the head off, i know its not what your supposed to do, but your timing it back up when it goes back together anyway so whats the deal??

Just set the timing mark to 45-deg TDC and take the belt off, least then if you turn a cam by mistake it wont catch a piston or anything when taking it all apart...

Line it all up though before re-fitting and use a locking kit if its a 16v, or just use an allen key to jam the cam pulley if its an 8v when refitting to TDC position, and ensure the crank position is TDC too (Piston 1 at top)

then just make sure you fit the belt tight and get the new tensioners set right...

turn the engine over about 2-3 times, re-check the timing make sure its all lined up correct, and go from there.

i assume you mean 45 deg clockwise?
PaulW

18th Jan 07 at 00:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

either, it doesnt matter if the heads coming off!

New Poll