corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Spray painting

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Spray painting
JayCarr

User status: Offline
21st Jan 07 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going to spray an Irmscher splitter for a Corsa C using a spray gun and compressor. What i dont know is the ratio of thinners to use with the paint. The car is Sapphire Black mettalic.

I was going to buy half a litre of paint, should be enough shouldn't it?

Any help very welcome
JayCarr

21st Jan 07 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone ?
Davidp18

21st Jan 07 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ask for the data sheet on the paint when u buy it itll have the thinning ratio on that will also tell u detailed dryin times n so on
BAZ 1256

21st Jan 07 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

half litre of paint will be more than enough for a splitter, youl have load left
paint i work with on the base coat(colour) is 1 to 1 with fast thinners and the lacquer(clear) is about 2 to 1with hardner and about a half of thinners.
different makes are all differnt though.
as david said you should get a data sheet that will say on it.
JayCarr

21st Jan 07 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok cool, thanks for that. I'll go down to halfords tomorow and see what they can do. Not alot probobly though
BAZ 1256

21st Jan 07 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PROB NOT!! CAN YOU NOT GET SOME PAINT FROM ALOCAL BODYSHOP OR GARAGE SUPPLIER PLACE?
CoastalCorsa

22nd Jan 07 at 02:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not in this freezing weather - christ

2k paint should be used in measures of 1.1 with express activator then 10% 2k thinners
ed

22nd Jan 07 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See if you have a Brown Brothers local to you. Halfords isn't really the place to go for this kind of job.
JayCarr

22nd Jan 07 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think i do have one local to me

What sort of paint do i want? 2K? How muchdo you think the paint, thinners ect is going to cost? cheaper to just get a bodyshop to do it?
flash22

22nd Jan 07 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres a few online stores like nu agane and http://www.paints4u.com what have an online database of colours/codes and online data sheets too

2k also known as 2 pack is nasty stuff you really need a good mask/air fed mask to spray it. 2k paint you mix the paint hardner/activator and thinners then spray it. 2k paint gives a better finnish than most celly based paints but is harder to work with

Most met colours are in basecoat whats different to 2k as you only need to mix the paint with either a basecoat thinners or 2k thinners. so no activator/hardener is need once dry it drys to a matt finish you then overcoat it with a clear lacquer (2k lacquer with give you a better finnish than the all in one/ready to use carp)

As for cost 1/2 a litre of paint will cost you £15-30 depending on type of paint/colour then your thinners and or activator on top and then theres lacquer on top of that if needed so anywhere between £30-60 all in

Your have loads left over so you wont have to buy it in the future if you do anymore spraying

On average most body shops charge £60-100 per panel so your splitter should cost around £50-80 to be sprayed

[Edited on 22-01-2007 by flash22]

New Poll