corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » gsi engine in 1.2

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author gsi engine in 1.2
corsa_kell

User status: Offline
   10th Mar 07 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alright folks iv just bought my first corsa, its a 1.2i 8v 5 door merit (96), bodywork is a bit shabby but mechanically sound.want to make this my first attempt at a project.have done some work on friends modded cars before so not totally clueless, have had some of my questions answered already from reading old posts, just wondered if anyone can tell me what i wud need to change to fit a 1.6 16v engine, is loom there, do shafts need changed etc., and is it worth the hassle or better just 2 dump a redtop in it
andyc1234

10th Mar 07 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gotta change pretty much everything on it . probably about the same amount of work to fit a red top just quite a bit more expensive for engine mounts and stuff. if you could find a full gsi being broken that would be handy as you could get everything you need from it
corsa_kell

10th Mar 07 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

other thing i thought about was fitting a 2.0 but replacing the injection system with twin 45 weberss.has anyone done a similar conversion??
Poot

11th Mar 07 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For a 1.6 engine conversion you'l need
-Engine
-ECU, key chip and transponder (all matching)
-wiring loom

I did it the long way round, bought a 98 1.6 sport engine (x16xe), then a loom off ebay for a gsi engine (also x16xe) then a matching x16xe ecu, chip and tranponder for it all.

You want to watch you have the matching loom for the year of the engine if buying separate, I found out that vauxhall changed the knock sensor wiring on post 97' corsa's (i think:look to 2 wires instead of one, I had the knock sensor with the loom though so all was good
Poot

11th Mar 07 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nearly forgot, if you are fitting an early gsi engine (C16xe) I've been led to believe they didnt come fitted with immobilisers, so wont have the key chip or transponder

[Edited on 11-03-2007 by Poot]
corsa_kell

12th Mar 07 at 01:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers 4 the advice, can i use the 1.2 driveshafts with the 1.6 then??
ainsley_brader

12th Mar 07 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes you can

New Poll