corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Remote Access Of Files....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Remote Access Of Files....
Doug

User status: Offline
5th Oct 07 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a dilema.

The company I set up the network for now want to be able to access files from the main computer when they are at home. In reality this will be the accountant using one or two files at most. Its realy not a big company and as such will only have one or two people accessing excel files.

Now the way I see it there are a couple options here:

1- VPN
2- Set up server software on the main PC
3- Buy a NAS and set up an FTP account to it

They have a Netgear router in place at the office which is connected by ethernet to the main PC which is where the files are. If I were to VPN I have the issue of them not having a static IP (DynDNS will sort that) and also I have read that the windows VPN software dosnt always work with netgear stuff? I have got a copy of the netgear VPN client but I cant get it to work (not googled a tutorial yet though)

So what would be my best option? I was thinking just set up some server software and I assume this can be used in conjunction with the DynDNS service?

Kinda in new grounds here as I havnt done anything like this before so im reaserching now but you cant beat proper help from people that know!
Steve
Premium Member

5th Oct 07 at 11:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vpn will be the best option, ftp probably the cheapest and easiest to setup
Doug

5th Oct 07 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you give me anymore info on the FTP side of it?

Or am I on the right tracks with what I posted above?
Deadude

6th Oct 07 at 00:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

erm

Cerberus FTP server is the easiest FTP server to set up ever basically the user connects vi the ip address/port and can view the folders on the PC also is the pc a server or just XP or w/e. If its aserver use terminal services..
Doug

6th Oct 07 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its just a normal PC running XP.

Thye just want to be able to access a couple files from it on occasions.

Im thinking a FTP may just be the best way of doing this. I will try setting up a VPN but I cnt be certain it will work....
Doug

6th Oct 07 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have cerberus running on the office desktop now...

Just finishing configuring the DynDNS so I can connect rgardless of the IP address.

I may need some help very shortly..

Deadude

7th Oct 07 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

two good moves to make when setting up an ftp server are to use rather rnaomd username e.g not admin or someones first name as if people attempt to hack it thats what they usually go for im suprised by how many people actually try and get into mine on a daily basis its ridiculous

New Poll