corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Where is my oil going?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Where is my oil going?
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Dec 07 at 13:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right following on from my other threads on this I am still having trouble with my car and am having to top it up with oil all the time.
If you take it for a spirited drive it will use about 250ml of oil in about 20-30 minuites

However as far as i can see there is no smoke under load or heavy engine braking. And before I got my piston rings and stem seals replaced there was quite a bit of apparent smoke in these situations.

I dont think it is an oil leak as when the car is left on the drive it doesnt lose any. Only disapears when it is been driven.

I assume the next step would just be to get a whole new engine and start afreash. Although I dont want to end up with another dud so would need to chose where i get it from carefully

Gavin

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
DAZ1985

15th Dec 07 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its not smoking then it could be leaking under pressure as in when your driving which you wouldnt notice. Have you checked for leaks while its stationary and you give it revs?
gavin18787
Premium Member

15th Dec 07 at 18:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, good suggestion though. Will try this tomorow. Any likely places for this to be occuring?

DAZ1985

15th Dec 07 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At a guess i'd say sump then headgasket

Unless you've got a hole in you block (hopefully not)

Get under the car first and clean off where you can then its easier to see if any of the above is happening

Worth a try if nothing else anyway
dan_c4rsa

15th Dec 07 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

around the oil pump probs...i had a similar problem with the 8V i had in mny old nova.

would use a litre of oil a month. turned out the sandwich plate where my oil cooler went was leaking under load.

[Edited on 15-12-2007 by dan_c4rsa]
gavin18787
Premium Member

15th Dec 07 at 18:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok well I will have a nose about and try to see whats what and post up again when i know more

phil_sutton

15th Dec 07 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check in your header tank for oil
gavin18787
Premium Member

15th Dec 07 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah header tank is still nice a blue from the new antifreeze I put in. That was only the other day though so I will keep an eye on it take it that would mean headgasket?

Richardhhha

15th Dec 07 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup that would sugest head gasket. You've had new rings and new guide oil seals, i'd say its more than likely the sump as they do leak quite a bit. Also when your under the car check for oil leaks from head area, and cam cover.
mattievRS

16th Dec 07 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And is the engine standard? with the breather going back into the inlet or do you have a mantzel etc?The breather would probably be hanging to atmosphere so would be losing oil thru that.
Toby
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what engine is it? some early x16xe had bore tolernce faults casuings excessive wear on rings and excessive oil consumption
gavin18787
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever
what engine is it? some early x16xe had bore tolernce faults casuings excessive wear on rings and excessive oil consumption

its an N reg gsi (x16xe) so one of the earlier ones. Looks like it is whole new engine time if i want to sort it
Also on the way to our reigonal meet today that involved enthusiastic driving as always there was a bit of smoke especially when hard on the power at higher revs in third.

PS the car has a mantzel but the brether is going into a makeshift catch tank but there is nothing been caught in it

Richardhhha

16th Dec 07 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just found out when i went to my car earlyer to go shopping with the misses that me cars bleedin a bit.... well i say a bit it had a nice puddle under the car and when me and the misses got to the shops it was smoking like a mutha bitch....... i think coil overs are out of the question on this months pay packet... got to fix the bloody thing,
gavin18787
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 17:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know the feeling, most of my money goes on fixing rather then modding

Fro

16th Dec 07 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I ha da little smoke puff out of the XE on that drive Gav
gavin18787
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what from me? or yours

Fro

16th Dec 07 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine
gavin18787
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didnt see you having to fill yours up before coming home though

Fro

16th Dec 07 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Naaa was only a wee puff
gavin18787
Premium Member

17th Dec 07 at 17:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could a ported and polished head cause oil burning problems if it was done slightly too much in certain areas. As thinkning back I dont think my car ever burnt oil until the head gasket went. Which was when i brought the new cylinder head as the old one was too far gone to be skimmed.

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

17th Dec 07 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i couldnt see smoke coming out of mine

but then one day i looked in my rear view mirror and boosh couldnt see through the smoke
gavin18787
Premium Member

17th Dec 07 at 18:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what was wrong with yours?

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

18th Dec 07 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

piston rings or valve stem seals or both

New Poll