corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Starting problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Starting problems
therafiman

User status: Offline
2nd Mar 08 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 1.0 12V has been starting fine until yesterday, i left it for a while with the engine off but sound system on, and it didn't start - i thought probably the usual low battery thing. Then I realised it wasn't - the starter was turning over at normal speed (and there was a clicking each time it turned) - bump started the car which got it running again.

After that it was fine, used it to drive for more than 2 hours and left it parked in between. But when I got in to drive home it did the same thing again, starter turning, clicking noise, but the engine wouldn't start. It was on a hill this time so I rolled it down and bump started again, and it was fine stopping/starting on the way back.

So am I right in assuming battery/starter are ok? I read on some guide about bump starting that it wouldn't work if the spark plugs were bad...so does this mean it's not the plugs? What else should I check?
Gezza

2nd Mar 08 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no its either your battery not holding charge or your alternator not chargeing it
Gezza

2nd Mar 08 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or dodgy earth either way your battery is going flat quickly and or not holding charge
12vMatt

2nd Mar 08 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its your battery.
mine was exactly the same as what your describing, a new battery sorted it right out
therafiman

2nd Mar 08 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok cheers i'll check the battery voltage in a bit, and probably put it on a mains charger as a temporary thing till i can get a new one.

Just to help me understand though, how come it turns if the battery's dying? Every time that's happened to me before the starter would spin then die and lights would fade, this time I sat there holding the key turned for 3-4 seconds at a time, about 5 times in a row, then it finally started sounding like the starter was running out of power and slowing down a bit (and lights dimmed slightly).
Gezza

2nd Mar 08 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because its draing the last cells in the battery!!!
therafiman

2nd Mar 08 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

k thanks
Gezza

2nd Mar 08 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no worrys pal happy to help

get a car acessories shop to test alternator/battery it is probably battery though, but dont rule out alternator.
therafiman

13th Mar 08 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I've replaced the battery, and it didn't change anything at all. Turning, clicking, management light flashing on and off. Sometimes if I give it some accelerator it helps - but only sometimes, it could be luck. I'm completely baffled - the battery has enough power, and hasn't run dead so the alternator's obviously charging it. Once it's started it's fine, so the spark plugs should be ok. I'm also not having any problems with acceleration like i've had in the past with blocked fuel filters, so I'd assume there's enough fuel getting to the engine.

Anyone have any other ideas?

New Poll