corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Urgent help! Half way through lowering! (I NEED A MR DAVE A!!!!) NOW PIC!!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Urgent help! Half way through lowering! (I NEED A MR DAVE A!!!!) NOW PIC!!!
corsa_rob

User status: Offline
   19th Mar 08 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right ive got the car on axle stands ...dropped the rear beam....released the springs.,,,,now trying to get the dampers out and im stuck...the nut wont shift...think the rubber is pushing the little cup up alot and nut just wont shift?! what am i doing wrong how can i get that bloody nut off!???!

[Edited on 19-03-2008 by Ian]

[Edited on 20-03-2008 by corsa_rob]

Dean_W

19th Mar 08 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hold the top of the shocker with some monkey grips. Then undo the nut.

Failing that, airgun. I couldn't get mine undone so cut it off instead
corsa_rob

19th Mar 08 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bloody stopped me in my tracks....very hard to get grips on this thing and started to chew the head up abit! bloody thing...im gonna end up leaving the original dampers on in abit grrr...
Dean_W

19th Mar 08 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cut them off. Or carry on with the job and then when finished go to a local garage and ask them to airgun it. Only a 5 min job to change rear shocks
corsa_rob

19th Mar 08 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant get it still! starting to get annoying
corsa_rob

19th Mar 08 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got one of those airgun things for the wheel nuts...but no 16mm sockets...only spanners!!!! never seem to have the tool u want for a job when u need it tis gay...ive got the front to do yet
ryan_fowler1985

19th Mar 08 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take the wheel off and cut the dust cover off the shock and get a set of maul grips tight onto the piston rod, then undo the nut onto you will need 2 people tho to hold the grips.
Dean_W

19th Mar 08 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go and buy a 16mm socket for your airgun. Easiest option rather than hold this, chop that.
r6paul

19th Mar 08 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a bit of scafold pole or an old exhaust.

Stick the end of the ratchet/spanner in one end of the pole/exhaust. Then use that, should un-screw much easier!

Always works for me!! The longer the better, but not too long!

[Edited on 19-03-2008 by r6paul]
craig_s

19th Mar 08 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

manage to get them off?i used a spanner on the nut then a 6mm iirc to stop the piston turning.if your stuck and not too far away i'll come and give you a hand
corsa_rob

19th Mar 08 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sri power
manage to get them off?i used a spanner on the nut then a 6mm iirc to stop the piston turning.if your stuck and not too far away i'll come and give you a hand

i did this earlier mate...then got it all sorted, then went out in it lowered just on the back my old man come home checked it out and started using GM parts (the spacer) to bridge the gap from metal to metal instead of to rubber, forced it all on when i wasnt looking and got the fuckin thing stuck on the bilstein shock...so now im fucked

i need to know what goes where on a bilstein b10 kit...just the rear for now, this is how i did it originally...

from bumpstop up
washer then rubber
then joins the chasis then inside the car
rubber again then washer then the nut on top to tighten????

WAS THIS RIGHT!?!?! if that makes sense???
i cudnt get a torque setting as it just made the rubbers flex forever...so i just did it up as tight as i could...test drove it and it was sound!

But u know
Rybo

19th Mar 08 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds okay,theyre usually ny-loc nuts on the top...as long as its nipped up it should be okay
corsa_rob

19th Mar 08 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ny-loc nuts??? u mean anti vibe...they are...just no torque setting and rubble holding it all strong...DONT SOUND RIGHT TO ME!...

i need help so bad lol
Rybo

19th Mar 08 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if there tight there tight...im not saying there isnt a torque setting i must have lowered novas and corsas a few times and usual the weight of the car on them to tighten them...a ny-loc nut usually looks lie it has a blue plastic bit in the end (anti vibe if you like) other than what ive said i cant help anymore bud...
corsa_rob

19th Mar 08 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by rybo8655
if there tight there tight...im not saying there isnt a torque setting i must have lowered novas and corsas a few times and usual the weight of the car on them to tighten them...a ny-loc nut usually looks lie it has a blue plastic bit in the end (anti vibe if you like) other than what ive said i cant help anymore bud...

thanks for the reply...im thinking of slapping it all together in the morning...did think about going back out but im getting ill from being on the garage floor all the time lol...i can get about 3/4 lines of thread from top of the strut...so should be ok just dont fancy any motorway driving with them. I'm gonna take pictures tomorrow and pop them up see if any of you can help...pretty confusing...simple i guess but im trying to make it harder for myself...just worry if its all done right like

DAVVVVVVVEEEE AAAAA!!!

also doing the front end tomorrow...it looks so good just having the rear lowered... the 60/40 wedge will look extreme
Richardhhha

20th Mar 08 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is always a torque setting for euerything but just do the nut up tight they wont come loose!
Rybo

20th Mar 08 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its one of them things pal...the more you question something...you start to convince yoursel youve fucked up,what youve sad it sounds about right to me with thread through.chill lol
corsa_rob

20th Mar 08 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a bad design though really like...to have everything siting on rubbers surely...im slapping it together tomorrow as said though and if the front comes similiar do the same...then rag the corsa to the missus' 12 mile run and see if it makes it at least my old man has gone down and corrected his mistake (got the spacer back off the strut) haha! will be sorted tomorrow cheers guys!
corsa_rob

20th Mar 08 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right i have a picture (see below) this is how the original strut fits on the top and the bilstein on the bottom...this correct mr dave A...etc...??? i know the picture quality's low...see its got no spacer...which is held inside the rubber seal...the bilstein has nothing like?

the screwdriver represents the body of the car, see its mounted rubber and rubber touching the body and the washers either side just squash up lots...hoping Dave A comes online to have a look or some1 just as good lol

Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

20th Mar 08 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that looks right to me, may need to use the dust cover off the original shock
corsa_rob

20th Mar 08 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
that looks right to me, may need to use the dust cover off the original shock

the bilstein strut has a dust cover...just not in the picture...thanks for the reply...so thats all good mate? just confuses me as to how it joins rubber and rubber either side like...so its impossible to get a torque setting but hey ho its all a load of bollocks? eh?!
VegasPhil
Premium Member

20th Mar 08 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pics from my tutorial should help

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=282181

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
corsa_rob

22nd Mar 08 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well just wanna say cheers for everyone that commented...all sorted now bloody great aswell...b10 kit is sound aswell i wud recommend it...now love my corsa again
craig_s

22nd Mar 08 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where did you get the kit from mate?and how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking
corsa_rob

22nd Mar 08 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

europerformance...worked out alot...Dave A does a kit same b10 kit with bilsteins and eibachs at a 50/55mm...cheap at £320 to £340 think he said!...class kit im gonna take pic of car to show yah

scrap that just relised is dark

[Edited on 22-03-2008 by corsa_rob]

New Poll