corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » got a computer project on the go? what is it?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author got a computer project on the go? what is it?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th May 08 at 10:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just out of interest...

A few years ago before I really got into the workplace I use to have all sorts of geeky little projects going. Anything I could download and fuck around with I would which gave me a good footing when I started my career.

At the moment at work we're wasting alot of our time on Nagios for network monitoring. What are you doing?

Nismo

8th May 08 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahhhhhh Nagios!!

We have had that for the last few years, just moving on to Cacti as its sooo much better.
pow
Premium Member

8th May 08 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used to build and break loads of machines back in my school days. Slowing starting work on a carpc now...

Played with things like smoothwall atc as well
Dan Lewis

8th May 08 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine atm is to determine which is the best pxe option for the business, pain in the arse it is
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

8th May 08 at 10:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
ahhhhhh Nagios!!

We have had that for the last few years, just moving on to Cacti as its sooo much better.

Cacti does trending, any polling stuff is done by addons which I wouldnt support. We run both along side each other.
Nismo

8th May 08 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

coolio
M2RTY

8th May 08 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

new VOIP system for 400 phones, spread across a massive chemical site

replacement of 120 switches across europe

IUCLID5 server install (for chemicals used across globe)

dozens of the bloody things
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th May 08 at 14:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've got some development contracters in working on Modernising our entire system that we use for greyhound race coverage.

We're writing test plans for it as it's developed and doing some of the testing too.

Boring as batshit but needs to be done, and the project will probably take the best part of a year

Nagios FTW

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th May 08 at 14:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3607

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
ed

9th May 08 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Designing a new website... http://windmill-farm.co.uk

Though i'm bored of it and i'm not betting paid for it so there is no incentive to get it done.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

9th May 08 at 21:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweet FA going on at my work at the moment, waiting for the new budget to be decided before we can crack on with any major projects!

So its currently a case of keeping the old shit going for as long as possible and making do with what we got!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Andrew

9th May 08 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been at my current job around 7 months now. In my spare time working towards my MCSE. At work i'll get stuck into anything i can really. If the opportunity is there, i'll try and take it. Next week i'm going to be working on visiting one of our larger customers and setting up their firewall and AV. Have loads of little jobs on, can vary from a Send button disappearing in Outlook to rolling out software.

Next week is a chance to prove myself. One of the techies is off and we have a new girl coming in on the phones to free up some time.

New Poll