corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » redtop corsa-em light on/....help please!!..FIXED IT LADS!!!!!it was the........

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author redtop corsa-em light on/....help please!!..FIXED IT LADS!!!!!it was the........
Rybo

User status: Offline
   27th Jul 08 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just took my freshly built corsa redtop out the other day and it feels down on power,the em light is on constant and after i put a new set of plugs in it it blackened them in no time (ten miles) to the point of causing misfire

i need to get this sorted asap so does anybody have any idea where i should start? new lambda?airflow meter?
its the distributorless ignition engine if it matters...
any help greatly appreciated guys

[Edited on 04-08-2008 by rybo8655]

[Edited on 09-08-2008 by rybo8655]
adam.d

27th Jul 08 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you not read the fault codes?
could be CTS?
Olsrey

28th Jul 08 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read the fault codes.
SRI-LEE

28th Jul 08 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that cost £53 LOL

bump up for ryan pal
Rybo

31st Jul 08 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right my mate is bringing his diagnostic gear round on saturday morning...ill get back to you with some better info then,ta boys
Steve X16XE

31st Jul 08 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you let the tank run low or has it been stood for a long time?
adam.d

1st Aug 08 at 07:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Erm.... why dont you just flash the fault code out, that way it won't cost you anything?????
Rybo

2nd Aug 08 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it has been stood for a couple of month steve...but ive started it at least fortnightly,i unplugged the afm and it didnt run any worse so im going with that for now and will put a new one on (also adam my mate wouldnt charge me...a pint would do lol).....fingers crossed
Rybo

4th Aug 08 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right guys..my mate let me down so did the paperclip test....i got fault code "73" which on my ecu (bosch motronic-dizzyless redtop) reads accross as "Air Flow Sensor" now is this what is commonly known on here as the air flow meter??? ive just bought a brand new one today and fit it.... i left the battery off for an hour and no real change when i fired it back up..

now in my inlet pipe there is a seperate sensor-a probe type thingy with a two pin plug on...could this be to blame??
i appreciate all your help and im trying to rectify this myself as much as i can but im hitting a wall...
craig_s

4th Aug 08 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where did you get a brand new afm from?didn,t think you could buy red top afm's any more.take a pic of your induction pipe showing the afm and the sensor your describing.does it run badly?what fpr is on it?
Rybo

4th Aug 08 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its the standard fpr bud..i got the afm from my local motor factors...its not a GM one of course but ive bought sensors etc in the past for other corsas and theyve been great..would you recommend trying to fit another one just incase?
if it helps my afm has the 4 pin plug on it...not a 6 like the earlier redtops

craig_s

4th Aug 08 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it a dispack type one?are you still getting the same fault code?if so pull the rubber boot back on the plug and check the wiring to it.
DaveB

5th Aug 08 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 2pin sensor you're on about is the inlet temperature sensor; this is only present on the late XEs. This should be plugged in, although if its knacked/not plugged in it usually doesn't give any running issues.

Check the wiring on the AFM plug with a multimeter;make sure you have a good 12v ignition live - there may be a problem somewhere on the loom that is not related to the sensor directly.

non bosch AFMs are generally shite; I'd try and borrow a known-working one first.

Look inside the AFm, there will be a 'trapezium' shape made out of thin wire; this is what measures the air going into the engine. If any of these wires are damaged; then the AFM won't work.

ps. try www.autovaux.com for a genuine AFM; they're around £80 iirc
Rybo

5th Aug 08 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DaveB thanks for that...i just paid 70 for a no-make one...inside of the afm appears to be okay...i pulled back the rubber boot the other day and altho ive seen wires in better condition all appeared to okay and not shorting etc (ill double check after and prove igniton live etc) and yes it is the dispack engine...i wanted one the same age as my car daft as it is lol
haydenover

5th Aug 08 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your xe is down on power could be your crank shaft sensor mate
Rybo

5th Aug 08 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its the crankshaft sensor why would it throw up the fault code for afm though?
haydenover

5th Aug 08 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by rybo8655
right guys..my mate let me down so did the paperclip test....i got fault code "73" which on my ecu (bosch motronic-dizzyless redtop) reads accross as "Air Flow Sensor" now is this what is commonly known on here as the air flow meter??? ive just bought a brand new one today and fit it.... i left the battery off for an hour and no real change when i fired it back up..

now in my inlet pipe there is a seperate sensor-a probe type thingy with a two pin plug on...could this be to blame??

hi mate this 2pin sensor is before the afm this is an air temp sensor and moniters the air temp gonig in to the engine
haydenover

5th Aug 08 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
if its the crankshaft sensor why would it throw up the fault code for afm though?

not sure mate but is a common reson why an xe is down on power
Rybo

5th Aug 08 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have heard that but i dont wanna keep buying new sensors if i dont need too ha,they cost a bomb...thanx though mate
haydenover

5th Aug 08 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is your loom in good contition cause when ihad mine my eml was on all the time lee done a paper clip test and i came back camshaft sensor to high voltage changed it no diffrence, turned out it was my loom causing the problem
haydenover

5th Aug 08 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i have heard that but i dont wanna keep buying new sensors if i dont need too ha,they cost a bomb...thanx though mate

i no what you mean mine's a coil pack aswell 130 for an amf
Rybo

5th Aug 08 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you think the loom could be damaged somewhere you mean??
haydenover

5th Aug 08 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
you think the loom could be damaged somewhere you mean??

yeh this is what i had but mine was reading camshaft sensor changed that and eml was still on constantley lee said it was the loom he track down the problem and turned out the loom had been repaired and badley i had to have a new loom so lee found and fitted a new loom and i havent had a problem yet, no eml light and running sweet
Rybo

5th Aug 08 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

altho i dont think its the problem as i checked (soledered and heat shrunk to a good standard the couple of worn/twisted bits there was)sounds like i better go have a look around this loom....
haydenover

5th Aug 08 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
altho i dont think its the problem as i checked (soledered and heat shrunk to a good standard the couple of worn/twisted bits there was)sounds like i better go have a look around this loom....

have look round ,youve done a good job but there could of been cowboys before you had the loom and bodged it mate it sounds to me it can only be the loom or the ecu have you tried a new ecu??

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll