corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » My handling is utter dog dirt

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My handling is utter dog dirt
ChrisBoom

User status: Offline
17th Nov 08 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, ive decided, the handling on my car is absoutly appauling.

First of all, bad things:

Shit tyres on the back
Cheap coilovers are too hard (Worst mistake ever)
Back brake bias needs adjusted urgently

Now quite honestly, the car is utter dog dirt at corners, back end feels like its going to go all the time.

Had a very, very close shave at the weekend when I had to pull back in from an overtake and brake, soon as I touched the brakes I was sideways in the verge

Luckly I got off with just a dirty car, but I could of written it off , tried 30mph swerving then braking, sure enough, sideways

What can I do to rescue the handling? Im getting shot of the coilovers in favour of shocks and springs, removing the spring on the rear beam for the brakes to stop it locking up the rears, and i suppose im going to need eagle F1's on the front aswell?

This post is a last ditch attempt, as atm i fucking hate the car, my last corsa and both 306's handled much better than this.
Jake

17th Nov 08 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whiteline rear arb is one of the best mods i did to my last corsa, also take off the front arb and see how you like it.
Mertin

17th Nov 08 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a 106 GTi
gez bay

18th Nov 08 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good tyres, rear arb
john_c20xe

18th Nov 08 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

design a independant rear suspension set up! lol
Gareth F

18th Nov 08 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy my 50mm rear bilstein kit
Ive got the same problem as im down 90mm ish and heavy braking locks the rear left. I might look at how to adjust the rear bais more aswell.
Rob B

18th Nov 08 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a corsa, but seriously, decent suspension and decent tyres are a good start
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Nov 08 at 19:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some things that wont hurt.

- same tyres all round with good tread will make it feel better but 888's or A084's will make it feel even better still.

- make sure your rear is braking propperly / not sticking

- if you can adjust your suspension make it half soft/stiff on both rear and front and the same height

it sounds like your rear isnt braking propperly when you apply the brakes, hence the rears are still turning fast and the front are slowing down so the rear ones want to carry on going causeing it to spin the rear out, get into an open area big carpark maybe and brake but pull up the handbrake aswell and see if its and more stable.

it could always be the opposite, and the rear brake is gripping more making it like a handbrake turn if you get me, but if you make sure you reset everything you can you could even try putting standard suspension back on and see if it still does it as it could also be the shock thats not working propperly.

could be loads of things really, but you want a brake bias of probably 60%f 40%r.

you could get oe of these to try and test it yourself.
http://www.eurom-sport.com/motorsport/brake-components/adjustable-brake-bias-valve/prod_112.html

[Edited on 18-11-2008 by chris_uk]
Gunny-Corsa-Sport

18th Nov 08 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

corsas are pretty crap handling no matter what you do with them lol i wrote my car off due to fact they are shit on handling lol i agree get a 106 GTI lol
john_c20xe

18th Nov 08 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

106 gti... torsion bar... shit handling, every gti i have driven at work understeers reli bad
ChrisBoom

18th Nov 08 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Coilovers I have are only height adjustable, and unfortuantly much too stiff.

Want to get shot of them anyway as they are knocking fuck out of the car on these rural roads
Kevxx

18th Nov 08 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gunny-Corsa-Sport
corsas are pretty crap handling no matter what you do with them lol i wrote my car off due to fact they are shit on handling lol i agree get a 106 GTI lol

amazing post, i'm almost sure you crashe4d your corsa cause your the shit driver!

and ...why is this in help bit? ...what do you need help with :S hehe
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Nov 08 at 21:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he wants help with making his car handle better. i thought myself it could do with being in general chat, but its ok here i guess.

chris, get some gaz shocks, they alter height and stiffness and are pretty cheap..

i put decent tyres onand your standard suspension if you have it, if they are really that bad.
john_c20xe

18th Nov 08 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

small wheels like 15s are a good bet too
Gunny-Corsa-Sport

19th Nov 08 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kevxx u talk absolute bollocks ask any1 corsas are shit on handling in wet anyway compared to sum of the cars div
Jordan C

19th Nov 08 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The reason it locks up is cos theres a bias ajuster on the axel! because uv lowerd ur car 60/70 mill it thinks theres loads of weight in the back and puts lots of effort to the rear breaks and it locks up!

Theres a guid on here on how to sort it! search!
corsasriboy

19th Nov 08 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

put your shittest tyres on the front, i much prefer understeer to oversteer in a front wheel drive car.
sand-eel

20th Nov 08 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Kevxx u talk absolute bollocks ask any1 corsas are shit on handling in wet anyway compared to sum of the cars div

i've owned mine for 3 years and never crashed, it's never the cars fault unless something breaks.
chris_uk
Premium Member

20th Nov 08 at 00:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsaloonjc
The reason it locks up is cos theres a bias ajuster on the axel! because uv lowerd ur car 60/70 mill it thinks theres loads of weight in the back and puts lots of effort to the rear breaks and it locks up!

but that would only spin you out if you was twitchy on the steering, as it would be just like applying the handbrake.

im not saying thats not what it is tho

[Edited on 20-11-2008 by chris_uk]
adz_gsi

20th Nov 08 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
quote:

i've owned mine for 3 years and never crashed, it's never the cars fault unless something breaks.

agreed. (they car is only as good as the man operating it, and a man always blames his tools) spring to mind lol
Gunny-Corsa-Sport

20th Nov 08 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol aye oreyt then
john_c20xe

20th Nov 08 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

ask me!! mine handles superb in the wet, got small compomotives and sort of ok tyres on cheap coilovers, can go flat out round roundabouts in wet without spining out, if your not shit at driving you should be able to learn to drive the car
adz_gsi

20th Nov 08 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[Edited on 20-11-2008 by adz_gsi]
ChrisBoom

20th Nov 08 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
quote:
Originally posted by corsaloonjc

but that would only spin you out if you was twitchy on the steering, as it would be just like applying the handbrake.

im not saying thats not what it is tho

[Edited on 20-11-2008 by chris_uk]

Yup, i pulled back in to my side of the road, thats how I lost it.

Will be adjusting the brakes and raising the coilovers at the weekend.
chris_uk
Premium Member

21st Nov 08 at 11:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the lower your coilovers are the more negative camber you will receive. more
negative camber = more inside tyre wear
negative camber = better handling

you have to find something that suits you.. the rears want to be slightly neg camber

first thing i would do is change them tyres, and alter the rear bias id make it 60 front 40 rear or something, im sure thats the fwd standard.

[Edited on 21-11-2008 by chris_uk]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll