corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Car due for 90k service - anything in particular to change?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car due for 90k service - anything in particular to change?
deano87

User status: Offline
26th Nov 08 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So yeah, the 12v is due for it's 90k service soon (last service done at 80k).

The same garage has been servicing it since it was on 59k, so they know what it needs & doesn't in terms of batteries, plugs etc.

But being a high mileage car now, is there anything which should be changed routinely? I hear of people changing water pumps on cam belt cars, but this is obviously cam chain?!

Anything else which might not necessarily be causing problems, but if worn, could cause potential catastrophic problems?!

I'm 90% sure the cam chain etc doesn't need changing as the chain itself was replaced at about 70k.

S@M

27th Nov 08 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oil and filter,
plugs,
fuel filter,
air filter
fan belt
brake pads possibly and clean up disks/drums

all will want doing depending on when each one was last done... but thats what i service on mine

corsa chains shouldnt even need doing but i know they tend to rattle like mad lol

and dont think there is a service sheldule on the waterpump, but you can hear them when they fail, ive had two go on some of the corsa's ive had
deano87

27th Nov 08 at 06:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What does a water pump sound like when it's going to fail? My car makes quite a racket when starting up cold. No such noises when warm though!?
S@M

27th Nov 08 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

waterpump it normally clunks abit with the odd higher pitch squeek... like the noise of a failing bearing.... but it normally wont go away when the engines warm...

the one litres do idle a bit lumpy when cold

if you werent so far i could of taken a look, but if your really conserned just pop it into a local garage and let them have a listen

i bet its more a tappy noise which taps with the same timing as the revs, quite common on this car
deano87

27th Nov 08 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by S@M
waterpump it normally clunks abit with the odd higher pitch squeek... like the noise of a failing bearing.... but it normally wont go away when the engines warm...

the one litres do idle a bit lumpy when cold

if you werent so far i could of taken a look, but if your really conserned just pop it into a local garage and let them have a listen

i bet its more a tappy noise which taps with the same timing as the revs, quite common on this car

Yeah, everything goes away when warm apart from the dodgey noise from the clutch/gear box.

The rattle is when I start up and rev, the rattles get louder, but as said, goes away when warm. I just let it warm up before going mad through the rev range.
pow
Premium Member

28th Nov 08 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look in the service book Deano, tells you everything that should be done at what milage
S77 CKL

28th Nov 08 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine flush, Oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel treatment.

I would change the coolant and brake fluid aswell and strip+clean front and rear brakes then your ready for winter.
Mertin

28th Nov 08 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
What does a water pump sound like when it's going to fail? My car makes quite a racket when starting up cold. No such noises when warm though!?

Whirring noise maybe aswell

Always best to change the pump when changing the belt/chain

Dont want to go changing the belt again in a few months cause the pumps knackered
deano87

29th Nov 08 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Look in the service book Deano, tells you everything that should be done at what milage

It actually doesn't specify things like cam chain, water pump - just the usual 'consumables'.
SAL
Premium Member

29th Nov 08 at 14:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would change the 1.0 ----> 1.6
P1CK4D

29th Nov 08 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A 90k 12v engine I wouldnt even waste my money. Id drive it harder in the hope it blows up to replace with a better engine. Save those pennies for something so much more worth while.
deano87

29th Nov 08 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Easy said than done when you have no money, and need to keep costs down because you live off about £250/month
VegasPhil
Premium Member

29th Nov 08 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just give it to your "same garage" to service - I'm sure they'll tell you if it needs anything else...

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold

New Poll