corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Working on domestic wiring / rewiring a house

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Working on domestic wiring / rewiring a house
luke85

User status: Offline
28th Jan 09 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im an electrician by trade but have been into the industrial side of things since I left college 5 years ago so Im a little rusty with this lot. Basically I did a national diploma then a HNC in electrical and electronic engineering and also did my 16th edition wiring regualtions (now outdated)

But anyways Im going to be buying a house sometime soon and one Ive looked at seems to need a fair bit of work doing with the wiring, its pretty old and only has one plug for the whole of the upstairs!

What qualifications do you need to go and work at re-wiring and modifying domestic wiring for the public (as a job)?

How do I stand re-wiring/modifying my own house? (Im probably a little rusty but will be able to do all the calculations if I got my old college work out)

After all the 16th edition wiring regulations told me about cable sizes, disconnection times and earth loop impedances, it never mentioned where the best place to route all the wires is? under the floorboards, in the plaster?

Would be great to hear from anyone who does something like this for a living to clear a few points up, thanks
Dave86

28th Jan 09 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need the new 17th edition to be bale to carry out any work in your house, as ther is new regs and health and safety shit you need to do, bastard if you want to sell your house later, and you havent got a certificate of test results for any of the work carried out.

under floorboards, in your loft, raggle out the brick work on your walls if you have brick walls, then plaster over it
C2RL R

28th Jan 09 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

17th is not statutary but is recognised as the way to do things. you do however need to be part P registered if you are carrying out major works and are to be certifying after the installation. you can replace switches sockets etc but you have to get it checked by a part p registered person. i'd do it myself regardless.
Dave86

28th Jan 09 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im 100% positive it is manditory (sp) to have your 17th edition from summer this year, at least up here you do anyways

[Edited on 28-01-2009 by slowandstandard]
Eddie.2k

28th Jan 09 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't need to be a qualified electrician to make changes to your home's electrical system, but the work must be done in accordance with the standards in the Regulations.
You do not need to notify your Local Authority if you do minor electrical work such as:-

* replacing or repairing a socket, light or cable in any room
* adding extra spurs, sockets or lights to an existing circuit (except in a kitchen, bathroom or outdoors)
* fitting or replacing electric showers, cookers, garage doors or gates (unless a new circuit is needed)
* installing CE-marked prefabricated modular kitchen lighting systems to an existing connection unit or socket outlet
* installing security lighting or air conditioning to the outside wall of a house, provided that there are no exposed outdoor connections (unless a new circuit is needed)

C2RL R

29th Jan 09 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you don't need the 17th edition. the 17th is just guidance. it shows how wiring must be done but you don't need the qualification to do wiring.
Eddie.2k

29th Jan 09 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But if you stick to the 17th edition you have a leg to stand on if something goes wrong
Dave86

29th Jan 09 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

from what ive gthered, you DO need your 17th edition, for testing purposes aswell

[Edited on 29-01-2009 by slowandstandard]
corsa120

30th Jan 09 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im electrically qualified and i do all my own on my house but only because i feel confident doing it......

ive heard a monkey could wire a house long as its checked by the relevant person
C2RL R

13th Feb 09 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've just got back from the 17th edition wiring regs course and guess what....it's not statutary.

New Poll