corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Am I being thick? (Outlook help)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Am I being thick? (Outlook help)
Whittie

User status: Offline
7th Jul 09 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whenever I use my "3g broadband dongle" outlook never sends my emails, when i'm on a set broadband line it sends no problem.

It recieves fine, just doesn't send.

I'm not sure what settings i'd need to change to sort the problem out, am I being thick or is it a pretty obvious change I need to do?

Thanks for any help
pow
Premium Member

7th Jul 09 at 12:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SMTP outgoing mail server mate.

Set it to the 3G dongles SMTP server.

[Edited on 07-07-2009 by pow]
Brett
Premium Member

7th Jul 09 at 12:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OMG and this guy offers hosting

What an idiot.
andy1868

7th Jul 09 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just afew questions alex,

1. Which SMTP server are you using?
2. Which company is the 3G dongle with?
3. I had another question but i can't remember what it is

I know companies like orange use transparent filtering of SMTP traffic "to help fight spam email" which basically means if you're using anyone elses SMTP server than their own on their connection it'll be getting blocked (i know they do this on their broadband connections, no idea about the 3G side)

It just sounds like a similar problem i had afew months ago, this guy could send email no problems using his work address while at work (with a zen connection) then when he went home and used his orange connection he couldn't send stuff out because he was using the office's SMTP server and not orange's own one

[Edited on 07-07-2009 by andy1868]
Brett
Premium Member

7th Jul 09 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will be one of two things.

1) You may need to change the outgoing SMTP to authenticate and use your login details, as you're connecting with a different provider.

2) If the above doesn't work because they've restricted it to people using their BB only, then you will need to use the 3 server smtp.three.co.uk

3) If you still have your BWF account then use that smtp server for gods sake!! It'll work anywhere though any connection then without this faffing around. You'll need to authenticate tho.
Whittie

7th Jul 09 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy1868
just afew questions alex,

1. Which SMTP server are you using?
2. Which company is the 3G dongle with?
3. I had another question but i can't remember what it is

I know companies like orange use transparent filtering of SMTP traffic "to help fight spam email" which basically means if you're using anyone elses SMTP server than their own on their connection it'll be getting blocked (i know they do this on their broadband connections, no idea about the 3G side)

It just sounds like a similar problem i had afew months ago, this guy could send email no problems using his work address while at work (with a zen connection) then when he went home and used his orange connection he couldn't send stuff out because he was using the office's SMTP server and not orange's own one

[Edited on 07-07-2009 by andy1868]

Which SMTP server are you using?
incoming - mail.mydomain.co.uk
outgoing - smtp-mbb.three.co.uk (which I thought would work)

And Brett, I don't offer hosting, but thanks for your input will try that as outgoing now...

[Edited on 07-07-2009 by Whittie]
andy1868

7th Jul 09 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, that throws my idea out of the water
Dom

7th Jul 09 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesn't your hosting offer SMTP?
on my tsohost account you get both pop and SMTP via mail.yourdomain.com etc.

Is the three's SMTP the one that came with the dongle? If not, check they don't have a specific one for their mobile BB.

like brett said, check to see if the SMTP doesn't require authentication

[Edited on 07-07-2009 by Dom]
Brett
Premium Member

7th Jul 09 at 13:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He can use his smtp.mydomain.co.uk as long as he authenticates. Assuming he's still using BWF, so they deffo have.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

7th Jul 09 at 13:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quick google comes up with some goon going on about the smtp server for Three only accepts small messages as it might be designed for emails from mobiles only. Strange.
pow
Premium Member

7th Jul 09 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just use your hosting SMTP servers.
Sam
Premium Member

7th Jul 09 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah if you have a website normally you can just use its SMTP server (probably have to use port 26 as a lot of ISPs block the usual port 25 if using SMTP servers that aren't theirs).
Brett
Premium Member

7th Jul 09 at 14:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, good point Sam. Port 25 won't work on the 3 dongle. Had this problem myself ages ago. Just use 26 as said.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

7th Jul 09 at 14:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

port 26? tsk tsk.

New Poll