corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Dedicated Servers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Dedicated Servers
xa0s
Banned

User status: Offline
25th Sep 09 at 04:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need a dedicated server to run a game server, but I'm not sure where to start. It's a bit complicated, as I'm being DDoS'd quite often. At the moment, I'm running the server off a spare XP box I have in my house but it's obviously not enough.

The DDoS attacks mainly just make the server very laggy, but sometimes it totally brings us down.

I don't know who to go with. I thought I found the right company as a friend runs a similar server and is hosting with them, but as soon as I mentioned DDoS they refused to take me on and said it would violate their ToS.

I was gunna go with Staminus, a US-based company that supplies servers for Utorrent. They have a nice 139$-monthly server but it seems to get DDoS protection you need a SecurePort package which is 200-400$ monthly. It's too much for me at the moment, although this may be an option as we grow.

The server I was going for was the 79$ one, or the 99$ one on here: https://www.esecuredata.com/Pricing/Servers.aspx

I'd get a UK-based server but most of my players are in the US and it seems prices are cheaper in the US.

Also, I've never worked with Linux before. A complete noob. I need to get PHP, Apache, MySQL and a few other bits running, as well as being able to remote directly into the box from my own computer. I have no-idea how to do this on Linux, and most companies provide no support. Windows is normally an extra 30$+ monthly so I'd prefer to avoid that.

I've got about 70$-200$ to spend, but ideally it'd be at the lower end.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who I should go with?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

25th Sep 09 at 05:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you're fucked mate, you need to find out WHY you are gettign ddos'd and go from there, no one wants a customer whos asking for straight up ddos migration, its just a waste of packets.

Pay someone to setup your server (like me, paypal accepted).
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

25th Sep 09 at 05:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh also remember getting a server in the US is going to add minimum latency of around 80-100ms to your connection if you are connecting from the UK.
xa0s
Banned

25th Sep 09 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
you're fucked mate, you need to find out WHY you are gettign ddos'd and go from there, no one wants a customer whos asking for straight up ddos migration, its just a waste of packets.

Pay someone to setup your server (like me, paypal accepted).

I know why, it's a tight community and by knocking us online they gain more players. I believe they're only small attacks but it's enough to take down my computer/connection. Staminus are having to take us on, and I'll probably go end up going with them but I can easily see a $150 server turning into a 700$ server.

Who would you suggest in the UK? Like I said, most of my players are in the US so I'm not fussed about it being in the US, and pretty much everywhere I've looked, US servers are a LOT cheaper than a dedicated server over here.

What do you mean by 'setting up'? I'm pretty sure with a bit of fiddling I could get everything working but can anything done to 'improve' protection of attacks?

New Poll