corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » car nearly overheating after 15 mins drive

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author car nearly overheating after 15 mins drive
Martin W
Organiser: South East
Premium Member

User status: Offline
25th Feb 10 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ever since i got the car i've noticed it gets hot quickly, gets to about 95 then you start to hear the tappets which i hate to, so i turn the heater on to cool the engine down.

after around 15 minutes drive the thermo is up to around 99 , after just 15 minutes!

am i right in thinking i have a dodgy thermostat or could there be something else?

thanks.
Root

25th Feb 10 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first off, check the oil filler cap and that you have enough coolant but not too much. Also when it DOES pressurise, open the bonnet and carefully and slowly undo the coolant filler cap, this should de-pressurise the system and possibly cool the system too..

let us know
Martin W
Premium Member

25th Feb 10 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok mate cheers, if it does depressure when i take the cap off, will the temp go down, and if so what does this point to as the problem?
Root

25th Feb 10 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deadliner
ok mate cheers, if it does depressure when i take the cap off, will the temp go down, and if so what does this point to as the problem?

I'm not sure. Mine was overheating not long ago after I had ran the car with no water, so I'd take the coolant filler cap off and this would cool the system down.

Not long after, my waterpump went though, so be careful.

I'd suggest looking at waterpump/thermostat/head gasket.
Crana

25th Feb 10 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like the water pump is failing
Martin W
Premium Member

26th Feb 10 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

someone did suggest it could be the water pump, are they easy-ish to replace on a 1.0 ? so nobody has suggested the thermostat so im guessing its most likely not that?
Root

26th Feb 10 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
someone did suggest it could be the water pump, are they easy-ish to replace on a 1.0 ? so nobody has suggested the thermostat so im guessing its most likely not that?

not sure about 1litres as they're different to others
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

26th Feb 10 at 00:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like your thermostat's stuck.

Run it till it gets past 92 degrees then check if the top hose to the radiator is hot, if it's not your thermostat hasn't opened, if it is it'll be something else.

My engine uses the same thermostat as yours and I've replaced mine twice now, so there's a good chance it'll be that.

They're about £30odd from Vaux iirc. Doddle of a job too, pipe off, 3 male torx bolts and it's off, there's a gasket for it that you'll need too, so make sure you order that, when I replaced my first one I didn't know and ended up without my car for a day because I didn't have a gasket and the old one was knackered
Root

26th Feb 10 at 00:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
Sounds like your thermostat's stuck.

Run it till it gets past 92 degrees then check if the top hose to the radiator is hot, if it's not your thermostat hasn't opened, if it is it'll be something else.

My engine uses the same thermostat as yours and I've replaced mine twice now, so there's a good chance it'll be that.

They're about £30odd from Vaux iirc. Doddle of a job too, pipe off, 3 male torx bolts and it's off, there's a gasket for it that you'll need too, so make sure you order that, when I replaced my first one I didn't know and ended up without my car for a day because I didn't have a gasket and the old one was knackered

Failing the thermostat thing, it'll likely be your waterpump, have you ran it without water or is your engine high milage?
Martin W
Premium Member

26th Feb 10 at 01:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

84,000 miles
Root

26th Feb 10 at 01:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
84,000 miles

check your oil filler cap for mayo first as this is easiest to do.
Then do what thingy said to check thermostat.
If thermostat is okay and there's no serious mayo on the cap/dipstick, then replace the waterpump and see how it gets on
alan-g-w

27th Feb 10 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be checking for air locks before messing about with the thermostat. Run it up to temp and start squeezing the top hose (might need gloves if it's too hot) and see if any bubbles come out. Mine was doing the exact same things you've desribed and that was the problem anyway.

[Edited on 27-02-2010 by alan-g-w]
taty

27th Feb 10 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when the temp goes up does the fan kick in
alan-g-w

27th Feb 10 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taty

Shouldn't matter, assuming he drives about when it gets hot. I've not ran a fan for more than 2 years and mine only ever gets too hot when I'm sitting idling for a long time.
Root

27th Feb 10 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
quote:
Originally posted by taty

Shouldn't matter, assuming he drives about when it gets hot. I've not ran a fan for more than 2 years and mine only ever gets too hot when I'm sitting idling for a long time.

ideally you need a fan. What about if you're stuck in traffic?
alan-g-w

1st Mar 10 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turn the engine off and on or turn the heaters up. Not ideal but the car doesn't get used a lot.
Martin W
Premium Member

21st Mar 10 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the fan didnt kick in so ive changed the fan switch, ive changed the radiator and thermostat now and no difference, the pipes are hot so the thermostat is working, i dont think its a air lock either. so the only other thing it could be is the water pump? but im not loosing any coolant? also there is no mayo on the oil cap either? anyone changed the water pump on a 1.0?

New Poll