corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Need something to edit MS Word docs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Need something to edit MS Word docs
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
22nd Dec 10 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello, as title really. I'm applying for anything up to about 5 or 6 jobs on a daily basis and I'm wanting to tailor each CV to the specific job I'm going for.

Because my current demo versions of Word have run out I need to send myself a CV in an e-mail, open it on the MS 'Skydrive' thing, click enable editing, edit the paragraph I want to, choose save, click the link at the top of the page and then download the new copy. It's a total pain in the arse but I was putting up with it - now though, I've changed my mobile number so I'm needing to change very single one I'm sending out.

I have seen the free MS product keys online to unlock my demo versions, have tried a couple to no avail. I'm now starting to consider Open Office or something similair, but I would much prefer if I was able to have MS Word.

Basically, is there any way that I can have a full version of MS Word? I've tried looking for downloads with no luck at all (not too clued up on that side of thing) and the 3 or 4 product keys I've found fill me with hope every time but have all ended up not working.

Basically I'm open to suggestions, what do people reckon?

[Edited on 22-12-2010 by alan-g-w]
Shane

22nd Dec 10 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just use open office
sc0ott

22nd Dec 10 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

library?

download bitcomment and you can easily download it from various sites via bitcomment.

get someone else with bitcommet or an equivilant program to download it and stick it on a cd for you.

I thought all pc's had the full version of word, obviously older pc's have older versions but all should be the full versions and not trials.
adiohead

22nd Dec 10 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shane
just use open office
alan-g-w

22nd Dec 10 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a Toshiba laptop sc0ott.

I'll just go for Open Office then probably, just hate the way it fucks up the justification of documents when they're on screen.
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Dec 10 at 15:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just use the web version? If you send a .doc to your hotmail i'm sure it opens in the web version of word last time I checked.

EDIT: Just checked, works fine. Open it up in the browser then click the "edit in browser" button. It's pretty much the same.

Can also go here i think http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive

[Edited on 22-12-2010 by loafofbrett]
AlunJ

22nd Dec 10 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

open office is just fine for working with word documents, doesn't do anything fancy I don't need and doesn't look so damn difficult to use like the newer versions of office do!
AndyKent

22nd Dec 10 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OpenOffice is the easiest.

Could try GoogleDocs but OO will be better.
alan-g-w

22nd Dec 10 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
Just use the web version? If you send a .doc to your hotmail i'm sure it opens in the web version of word last time I checked.

EDIT: Just checked, works fine. Open it up in the browser then click the "edit in browser" button. It's pretty much the same.

Can also go here i think http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive

[Edited on 22-12-2010 by loafofbrett]

Look at my first post mate, that's how I'm doing it just now. It take about 5 times longer than it should though, instead of opening a programme and instantly editing you need to fuck about with it something awful.

[Edited on 22-12-2010 by alan-g-w]
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Dec 10 at 16:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PMSL only glanced it over
Sam
Premium Member

22nd Dec 10 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just buy MS Office 2010 Home and Student Edition - comes with Word, Excel & Powerpoint, and can be installed on 3 PCs legally.

Only £85.16 from eBuyer - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/205886

Just over £28 per person if you split the cost with two other family members?
alan-g-w

22nd Dec 10 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
PMSL only glanced it over

It's a good suggestion in my book but only since it's the method I'm using

Sam, it's a good point but it's just money I could do without spending at this point. Maybe when I've got a job I'll think about it, but by then I won't need to use it anywhere near as much. Talk about a Catch 22, ho ho.

New Poll