corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » FUUUUU... Mazda battery/charge light, help please!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FUUUUU... Mazda battery/charge light, help please!
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Mar 11 at 18:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Halfway home from work tonight and the Mazda's dashboard presented me with this:

Obvious checks I've done include turning the car off and on again a couple of times, checking the belt is still there and present (PAS is still working), Alternator is turning and I think all the plugs are pushed in alright. If I rev the absolute tits off it it flickers off but comes straight back.

New alternator?
ryanlockie

14th Mar 11 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe charge the battery?
pow
Premium Member

14th Mar 11 at 18:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The battery is pretty healthy, was new last year and never failed to start the car!
ryanlockie

14th Mar 11 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd still check it
pow
Premium Member

14th Mar 11 at 18:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll take it off tonight and charge it overnight then
AlexW

14th Mar 11 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check the voltage its putting out with a multi meter.
pow
Premium Member

14th Mar 11 at 18:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good shout
XE Col
Premium Member

14th Mar 11 at 19:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check voltage across the battery while its running to make sure altenator running right
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

14th Mar 11 at 23:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Boissy07
check voltage across the battery while its running to make sure altenator running right

Yep, I'd go with this being your problem.
pow
Premium Member

15th Mar 11 at 19:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

12.4V before starting, 11.9 after, alternator deffo isn't charging the battery.

Started to take it off tonight, my days what a CUNT it is to get at!
AlexW

15th Mar 11 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never easy lol, I don't want to burst your bubble but I would of done some more testing before replacing the alt
pow
Premium Member

15th Mar 11 at 22:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The belt is there and tentioned, it's still turning the waterpump and keeping the engine cool, all the connections on the alternator are good, the earth strap from body to engine is still there, battery voltage tested before and after engine start and the light is on... I don't see what else I can do? It's the original alternator from 20 years ago...

Oh... and the battery is tested and fine. I know my way round a multimeter thanks

[Edited on 15-03-2011 by pow]

New Poll