corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 2007 VW Polo - Cigarette lighter won't work, but socket does

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2007 VW Polo - Cigarette lighter won't work, but socket does
Welsh Dan

User status: Offline
17th Jun 11 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My sister has a 2007 Polo TDI. It doesn't have the smokers pack, but it does have a 12v socket in the front. I foolishly purchased a cigarette lighter, thinking it would work and she could smoke her cancer sticks to her hearts content.

However, it doesn't. Cigarette lighter does work in other cars and i've been informed that if the car didn't come with the smokers pack, it won't work.

How do I get it to work with the cigarette lighter? Is it an extra fuse somewhere, or plug that needs connnecting?

I did have a google, but my Google skills are clearly weak in this case. I've signed up to the Polo forum, but i'm waiting to have my account registered before they'll even let me search
Anty
Premium Member

17th Jun 11 at 22:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Box of matches !! = winner
Welsh Dan

17th Jun 11 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, i've already told her that if its not a quick (or cheap) fix, she can bugger off and use a refillable.

I have heard that the 12v socket and the cigarette lighter socket are different, which would make sense.
Bobber123

17th Jun 11 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what kind of car has an optional extra called smokers pack? i have never heard of this before! just tight bastards that want people to pay extra to have the same shit that every car ever made should have?! how are you ment to charge phones/satnavs etc.... she might aswel have bought a moped lol
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jun 11 at 23:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might be that the smokers pack socket has uprated wires, it'll draw a lot of current as it's basically a straight short. May even cut off if you put a lighter in the low-current socket.

Can't see any other way to do it as I would guess they're physically the same shape.
Welsh Dan

17th Jun 11 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bobber - Most manufacturers used to do a non-smokers pack. However, presumably in this day and age where its frowned upon to smoke, you have to ask for the smokers pack.

Its a non-cost option usually. You still get the 12v power socket so it can charge phones etc. but it just doesn't work with a cigarette lighter and you don't get a cigarette lighter. Or a metal ashtray.
Welsh Dan

17th Jun 11 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DP. I can remember the non-smoking pack being an option on my 1992 RX7 and you ended up with a coin tray instead of the ash tray.
Rob E

17th Jun 11 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would imagine its down to the design of the socket. Its probably a deeper socket. Get a phone charger, plug it into the polo and see how far in the plug goes. Then try it again in a car that has a working cigarette lighter and see if it sits more shallow compared to the polo
Eddx14xe

18th Jun 11 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just done a quick search and it said the amps for the cig lighter are alot higher than 12v socket. Dont know how true this is but it may be why it isnt working.
Welsh Dan

18th Jun 11 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've bought her a pack of refillables for £1.

New Poll