corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » gsi foglights with diagram

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author gsi foglights with diagram
jrdz92

User status: Offline
18th Dec 11 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right i fitted the wiring today which came out of my mates car what was alll wired up to the fogs.. fitted the negative and positive to the battery and then from the battery to the fogs but i also have the wires going into my car for a switch.. can i wire them to my origonal fog light switch because i tried today and the fog lights came on but was very dull but when i wire them to a 2 way switch they are very bright ?

[Edited on 18-12-2011 by jrdz92]

[Edited on 19-12-2011 by jrdz92]
Ste
Premium Member

19th Dec 11 at 01:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This sounds like a bodge tbh mate. for a start, you never wire anything straight to the battery. The positive should be fused, and lights and switch isolated by a relay.

There is a tutorial in FAQ, but it's missing the pictures
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=391868

get a few pictures up of what you are doing and people will point out where you've gone wrong and how to correct it.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
jrdz92

19th Dec 11 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

il draw a diagram up soon and the wiring is what was out of his car and wired same way . but ifits a bodge job it needs to be sorted
jrdz92

19th Dec 11 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically this is the wireing he has gave me hope some one can help me sort this out

Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
19th Dec 11 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Typically you wouldn't switch the earth and also they should be in conjunction with the sidelights so they can't be operated on their own.

Not got a diagram to hand, will have a go at getting the pics back in the tutorial.
jrdz92

19th Dec 11 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes if you could get pictures back Ian that would be brilliant thanks for the reply
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Dec 11 at 18:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just checked and they're on Photobucket

Thought it was a CS garage.

There was another thread recently that also discussed the same issue, think that had diagrams in, might be worth a search.
Ste
Premium Member

19th Dec 11 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just did you a quick sketch on mspaint but it shows the correct way to wire up fog lights.

The chassis of the car acts as the earth, so make sure you clean off paint to bare metal and use a ring terminal and stainless screw or ally rivet. Then splodge some silicone over it if it's outside the car.

Also, due to the fact you are using a relay, you can get away with a scotch-lock to get the signal from the side light feed as it is drawing very little current at this point.

Having un-fused wires running through the car is a major fire hazard if they get chafed. also, ensure you use the correct thickness wire for the job too. If in doubt, copy the sizes used for the car's wiring for similar jobs.

Hope this helps

[Edited on 19-12-2011 by Ste]

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ste
Premium Member

19th Dec 11 at 18:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In that image, the pink 5 amp fuse should say 15amps

sorry, no time to edit it right now, on my way out.

Ste
Premium Member

19th Dec 11 at 18:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another note, if you are using a factory switch, you can pair up the switch input to the switches internal light so it glows when you turn your lights on. unsure how a GM switch is configured but will need an earth too i guess

Ian
Site Administrator

19th Dec 11 at 18:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Diagram fixed
jrdz92

19th Dec 11 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the switch he gave me with the wiring is a push in and push out one from a ford transit :/
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Dec 11 at 19:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a proper switch, I have one if you can't find one locally.

There's a tell tale as well needs wiring in. Will get some pics of the loom this week.
jrdz92

19th Dec 11 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what do the propper switches look like ian so i have an idea what im looking for .
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Dec 11 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as a rear fog but lights up green, there's space for it in that panel.

Any Vauxhall of that area with fogs will have one suitable. Newer stuff, 99ish onwards has a tell tale in the clocks instead of the switch which you might not have available and is more work to wire up.

[Edited on 19-12-2011 by Ian]
jrdz92

19th Dec 11 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh ok yes theres a sqaure space above or next to the rear fog switch and mine's a 98

New Poll