corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Diesel as engine flush?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Diesel as engine flush?
andy_mk3

User status: Offline
   23rd Mar 12 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was talking to my boss today at work, and he wants me to service his Golf mk4 1.9 TDI.. fine I don't have a problem with that. Then he said he wants me to drain the oil, then fill it with diesel and let it idle for 10 minutes to flush it all out, then drain and fill with oil.

I have never heard of this in my life, doesn't sound right at all to me! He told me his 'mate' who has a Skyline running 700bh+ (quite how true that is, I don't know ) does it all the time to flush his engine out. Apparently because Diesel is oil based then it wont damage the engine.

Any thoughts on this? I'd never risk it in my car that's for sure!

[Edited on 23-03-2012 by andy_mk3]
stan_the_man

23rd Mar 12 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let his car be the guinea pig! If it fucks the engine, it's his fault. If not, game on!
Richie

23rd Mar 12 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Diesel from a petrol pump is a defo no go, that's death for the engine. Nowhere near enough lubrication.

28 sec kerosene would be ok.
andy_mk3

24th Mar 12 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stan_the_man
Let his car be the guinea pig! If it fucks the engine, it's his fault. If not, game on!

Haha, well, I don't particularly like him (fuckin south african ) but I'd rather not be the one to kill his engine!

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
Diesel from a petrol pump is a defo no go, that's death for the engine. Nowhere near enough lubrication.

28 sec kerosene would be ok.

My thoughts exactly! I don't even see the need to flush it out that thoroughly, surely using proper flushing oil for a day or two would be a much better idea?!
Matty SRi

24th Mar 12 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of petrol in the engine while its running for a few mins after dropping oil, yes. Not diesel though
Richie

24th Mar 12 at 01:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ i defo would not advise that. Where the hell have you heard that?

To be honest it would be just as effective (and cheaper) to buy 5l of a cheap semi oil, drain the current oil when hot, fill it up with that and run it for a bit, then drop that and fill up with the correct oil
corsadonk
Premium Member

24th Mar 12 at 08:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
^ i defo would not advise that. Where the hell have you heard that?

To be honest it would be just as effective (and cheaper) to buy 5l of a cheap semi oil, drain the current oil when hot, fill it up with that and run it for a bit, then drop that and fill up with the correct oil

I'd do it like that. I drained my old oil last week, ran it as normal for a week, now I'm gonna change the oil and filter later on.

Fuck running a engine on neat diesel, maybe like cup full just to thin it out a bit. But still I wouldn't bother.
pete8v

24th Mar 12 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dad used to use diesel in bike engines if it haf stood siezed
Phoenix Autosport

25th Mar 12 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just get some flushing oil from your local motorfactors, with the tax the goverment puts on diesel it's gonna be more money than the propper stuff anyway,

and with flushing oil just put it back in the bottle when you drain it out and leave it for a couple of days to settle and you can pour the clean flushing oil off the top to use again
andy_mk3

25th Mar 12 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought he was talking bollucks, he always does!! Oh well, I just wanted to make sure it was something thatI hadn't heard of before that actually worked lol.
Phoenix Autosport

25th Mar 12 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what pete8v said about using in seized engines i have heard of before, deisel can be used as a penetrating oil like wd40 or plusgas, its never going to undo any damage but it will help free things up on an engine that has been run dry or where there are a lot of deposits in the oil system but its generaly a pour it in and leave it to stand for a few days, remove the plugs to stop compression and pour a little in each bore and every now and again try cranking it with a socket on the crank pully.

i think running an engine with it in is going to create far too much friction
andy_mk3

28th Mar 12 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well he's just drained the oil, put a container of diesel in and let it idle for 10 mins, now he's drained it again and is off to get the second lot of diesel
Tony M84

28th Mar 12 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy_mk3
Well he's just drained the oil, put a container of diesel in and let it idle for 10 mins, now he's drained it again and is off to get the second lot of diesel

What a hero!
andy_mk3

28th Mar 12 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it didn't kill it amazingly
Tony M84

28th Mar 12 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it everyone is going to use diesel as engine flush now then? lol
andy_mk3

27th Jun 12 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I think I should bring this back up after today

My bright spark of a manager who did this to his car, decided to do it to a customers car as well a few weeks ago. 2007 BMW Mini 1.6 with 12k miles on it. She bought it in because the engine management light was on, I read the codes and it came up with inlet cam fault. I took the sensor out to check and test it, and found it was covered in white gunk from condensation in the oil due to lack of use.

So I told her she definitely needs a cam sensor and advised her to get an oil change which she agreed to.

So anyway she brings it on on my day off, so the monkeys set to, drained the oil, filled with 5 litres of diesel and ran it till it was hot, and then again, and finally put some fresh oil in it.

She came back today with the engine management light on again, turns out they never even replaced the cam sensor, and also that the engine was making a funny noise on start-up. I took the oil cap off, the cams were bone dry, they even had rust on them! The diesel has washed the oil off everything, what a fucking bellend!

So I've done 4 oil changes on it today with 2 new filters and 2 proper engine flushes, to try and get rid of any diesel left. It sounds a lot better now, I'm hoping there's no major damage done.

Luckily the manager has been suspended for other reasons and it's not likely he'll be coming back.

So, lesson is, don't flush your engine with diesel

New Poll