corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Putting DVDs onto an iPad

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Putting DVDs onto an iPad
Jamie Walby

User status: Offline
14th May 12 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Planning on buying an iPad at the weekend. As I have got a few long flight/ferry trips coming up so thought I would start putting some of my DVDs onto my computer/itunes ready to load onto the iPad.

I thought it would be the same process as putting CDs into iTunes, pop the disc in, load the movie into iTunes. Apparently I was mistaken.

So how do I go about putting my DVDs onto my computer so I can put them onto an iPad? I have googled it and it all seemed a bit long winded, there must be an easier way.

Cheers.
pow
Premium Member

14th May 12 at 10:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use handbrake to encode them
Jamie Walby

14th May 12 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then I can put them onto iTunes and drag and drop them into/onto the iPad?
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 12 at 10:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depending on your connection, it's probs quicker just to download already compressed ones.
Dom

14th May 12 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Use handbrake to encode them

This! But as Brett said, you'll no doubt find it quicker to nab them of the interweb (obviously grab it in a iPad playable format) rather than encoding them yourself which, depending on hardware, can take a fair old amount of time.
Jamie Walby

14th May 12 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Using a MacBook Pro, Dom. Only about 6 months old. If that helps.
Dom

14th May 12 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
Using a MacBook Pro, Dom. Only about 6 months old. If that helps.

Probably an hour or two but it all depends on the settings you use and if you multi-pass the encode etc. I'd give it a whirl though as a 'just-to-see' exercise, do a Google first for a few tutorials and already made iPad profiles (search 'Handbrake iPad DVD Profile (or) Tutorial'), but if you have a decent connection you'd probably beable to download one in half the time (takes me 10mins to get a decent standard-def, good enough for mobile devices, so it's not worth encoding my own collection).
Jamie Walby

14th May 12 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive always been wary of downloading music/movies as 1) I'm an idiot when it comes to that sort of stuff and 2) I'm concerned about getting a virus.

However, if they time scales are that varied then perhaps thats the avenue I should go down.
Brett
Premium Member

14th May 12 at 11:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you do go the torrent route, just be aware of the comments below and stick to trusted posters if you're worried.
Dom

14th May 12 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
If you do go the torrent route, just be aware of the comments below and stick to trusted posters if you're worried.

Unless the film is hugely popular (ie: a recent flick) or you happen to use a private tracker with decent seeders, then you're going to struggle to get the download speeds needed to make it worth while using Torrents.

Personally i'd recommend Usenet - far less BS than torrents, far far more secure than torrents (it's encrypted data between your system and the Usenet server) and you'll max out your connection (unless they have speed restrictions, like VM) day and night. Obviously this comes at a price but at £6-8 p/m it isn't going to break the bank.
There was a thread on Usenet a week or so ago, so have a read of that.

However i will say that it can be a bit of a pain in getting hold of obscure or old foreign films using Usenet and this is where Torrents can be useful, although this is usually last resort as seeders tend to be few and far between on these torrents so downloads speeds are in the low 10's of KB/s rather than MB/s.
Welsh Dan

15th May 12 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another vote for handbrake. Takes about an hour or so for a DVD movie into iPad format.
LeeM

15th May 12 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i only have 4mb, a movie in ipad size downloads in an hour on torrents
Jamie Walby

16th May 12 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Welsh Dan
Another vote for handbrake. Takes about an hour or so for a DVD movie into iPad format.

I think this is the route I am going to go to be honest. I like to have physical things so music/movie downloads aren't for me
Nismo

16th May 12 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use Xilisoft, imo its better than handbrake.

I rip straight from DVDs
Whittie

16th May 12 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.amazon.co.uk/External-Notebook-Includes-Lightweight-Warranty/dp/B004WO7V0C

&

http://www.mobifox.co.uk/ipad-usb-adaptor-a228.html?___store=default

&

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tucano-prima-32-cd-dvd-wallet-grey-10819367-pdt.html?srcid=867&cmpid=comp~Google~Computing+Accessories~10819367&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=wmqmmaap&istBid=t
Jamie Walby

16th May 12 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lot of extra stuff to carry about Whittie
Whittie

16th May 12 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd just download them in iPad ready format in less than an hour, takes too long to reduce the size of a dvd and convert it anyway.
Jamie Walby

18th May 12 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had my first crack at this last night.

Used handbrake and after a bit of farting around to begin with when I wasn't really sure what I was doing I figured it all out and got one of my DVDs into iTunes. Put in on my iPhone just to check it all worked and it did!

Thanks for the help!
A2H GO

1st Jun 12 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now you can jailbreak just download VLC player and you can sync any file format using iTunes, just done a whole season of Dexter in .AVI files onto my iPad 3, sync'd in about 1 minute.

[Edited on 01-06-2012 by A2H GO]
LeeM

1st Jun 12 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Now you can jailbreak just download VLC player and you can sync any file format using iTunes, just done a whole season of Dexter in .AVI files onto my iPad 3, sync'd in about 1 minute.

[Edited on 01-06-2012 by A2H GO]

I've got plex I think it's called, came straight from the app store it shows in the applocations tab on itunes and you just drag and drop. Runs the battery quicker though using apps like that

New Poll