corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » x16xe ticking sound. help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author x16xe ticking sound. help
Aerox-lad

User status: Offline
17th May 12 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Noticed my corsa sport made a ticking sound the other night. Gave the car a good look over today. Added 2 litres of oil and topped up coolant. Then tonight it made the same ticking sound. The cambelt and waterpump was changed about 3 weeks ago. Done 1k since then.

Here's what I do know however.

The car only makes the ticking sound on idle and when the engine is up to temperature.
The sound is coming more from the rocker cover and not the cambelt cover.
If I leave the car on idle it will start making the ticking sound. And it sort of quietens itself out for a few moments then will come back on.
If the car Is making the ticking sound on idle and I give it some revs the ticking sound will increase in unison with the revs.

Any ideas? I've read that It could be hydraulic lifters or tappets? Is there anything more simple it could be? engine is on 87k and aas is a 1.6 corsasport 99
andy_mk3

17th May 12 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 litres of oil? That's a lot of oil, must have been pretty low! It does sound like tappets. You can try Wynns tappet treatment along with an oil and filter change which should help things.
Aerox-lad

17th May 12 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for quick reply. Yeah it was really low mate. I done a new oil change with new filter and that about 2 months ago but haven't really checked since then. Not really drove it that much but the X's swallow the oil don't they!
shaunmods
Premium Member

18th May 12 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine used to tap when warm just as you've described. I replaced the lifters for new genuine INA ones and its as quiet as a mouse now You can get them from Autovaux for a very good price
chrimbo88

18th May 12 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the same problem how hard are lifters to fit -an have you sorted yours pal?
Aerox-lad

21st May 12 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought some of that wynns hydraulic valve lift treatment yesterday Andy. Think it was about 9 quid in halfrauds. Put it in and drove back home about 5 miles and could notice the difference. Haven't heard that gay clicking sound since. I even done my little devised test where I would let the car warm up turn it off and let it sit for a few moments and restart it and it would tick but has been fine since yesterday now :-)

New Poll