corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1 litre cutting out and not starting

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1 litre cutting out and not starting
Root

User status: Offline
22nd Jun 12 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got a 12v corsa, sometimes when it's low revs/speed, it will cut out and then refuse to start for a minute or so.

Very embarassing and annoying. Possible problems? I'll pop over to unipart and get some plugs and any parts you guys can reccommend before they close if you can troubleshoot it for me.

Thanks very much
Root

22nd Jun 12 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is turning over but not firing, I try to give it some gas and this doesn't help
Root

22nd Jun 12 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bought some plugs and changed them. Got a crankshaft sensor but I don't know where the original one is to replace it. Any tips guys/ thank you

oh i get no EML either

[Edited on 22-06-2012 by Root]
DanCobb

22nd Jun 12 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Air leak? MAF?
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

22nd Jun 12 at 17:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crank sensor is down the back of the engine, accessed from underneath, up near the starter motor.
Root

22nd Jun 12 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Crank sensor is down the back of the engine, accessed from underneath, up near the starter motor.

Thanks, do I have to get under the car to change it? Not keen on getting underneath cars
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

22nd Jun 12 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, it'd be a big job to do it from the top whereas it can be done in about 10 minutes from underneath.
Root

22nd Jun 12 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could always try and throw a local garage a tenner to borrow a ramp for 10 mins I guess, just very unkeen about going under cars, cheers
3CorsaMeal

22nd Jun 12 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might be worth checking all the fuses first, just in case.

I had a blow fuse causing my car to cut out when the revs dropped.

always start with the cheapest things
Matty W

22nd Jun 12 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will it start if you give it a little bit of throttle?
Root

23rd Jun 12 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Might be worth checking all the fuses first, just in case.

I had a blow fuse causing my car to cut out when the revs dropped.

always start with the cheapest things

will check that shortly, thanks mate

quote:
Originally posted by Matty W
Will it start if you give it a little bit of throttle?

nah, not at all.

Last night when I was parking and changed gear from 1st to reverse, the revs dropped ever so slightly and it cut out and refused to start for a minute. When I drive about I have to keep it at 2k+ revs and when I'm stationary, I rev the car slightly to stop it from stalling again.

But this isn't a permanent solution, kind of dangerous to try brake and rev at same time.
Gonna check the fuses, if they're fine, going to take the crankshaft sensor to a garage and say can you fit this for £20?

Unless I can fit it by accessing it from the top of the engine? (removing the water bottle and battery to get access). If it's possible, I'd rather have a try myself, thanks

[Edited on 23-06-2012 by Root]
BeetleGav

23rd Jun 12 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Idle control?

haha revving and braking at the same time is fun! had to do it on my beetle in the colder months to stop the carb from icing
Root

23rd Jun 12 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This may be unrelated but the speedo is also intermittent. Most of the time it works, but sometimes it doesn't. It's electric clocks, but I think that's an unrelated problem with loose speedo on gearbox?
Root

23rd Jun 12 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been out there to clean the throttle body.

Is it meant to be slightly tilted by default?
Anyway, I tried to clean out the ICV but the last hex bolt was rounded off, going to try again when it's not raining.

Also, the engine feels very very hot. I haven't driven in about a hour or so and the top of the engine, even the coilpack, feel very hot, to the point where you have to remove your hand (on the coilpack, should it be this hot here?) It's very hot on the water pipes.

Maybe the issue is to do with cooling and not a faulty crankshaft sensor or some other issue? If somebody help, I'd be ever so grateful.

There's only water in the system at the minute, I've always used only water in the summer but because this engine is very hot, I think I might use some coolant in the system. Is there a reason for this, blocked radiator or something?

The temp gauge is showing temperatures, it does move up when I'm in non-moving traffic, not yet tried it to the point of seeing if the fan kicks in, it's not been that high yet. Could the temp sensor be faulty or something?

Going to test that the thermostat is opening in a minute by dropping it in boiling water

Help will be very appreciated, thanks

[Edited on 23-06-2012 by Root]
Root

23rd Jun 12 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After having the car 2 wheels on a curb and 2 wheels off, getting rust from the driveshaft in my eye several times and struggling under a car for a while, getting completely dirty, I took the old crankshaft sensor out to replace it. Went to replace...noticed 3 pins instead of 2. Monkey @ auto traders has given me a camshaft sensor instead. Not sure if this sensor will cause my problems, so might replace it and see if the car works, if not, take it back and get correct sensor.

New Poll