corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Front panel USB/audio connectors

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Front panel USB/audio connectors
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Nov 12 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The PC I am building is going to be using an old Dell case (before anyone starts I know I could just buy a nice case but I would quite like to recycle this case as it seems quite solid).

At the bottom of this case is a little connector board that has two USB 2.0 ports and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Am I able to buy a board to replace this that has USB 3.0 ports and both audio and mic jacks on it, or am I better off getting one of those things that fill up a 5.25" drive bay with USB ports, audio ports and card readers in it?

I would have to reassign the pins on the USB cable that goes on to the motherboard as it uses a proprietary pinout, and the connector for the audio wouldn't fit straight onto the motherboard audio connector as again it's proprietary.
Dom

4th Nov 12 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're just after USB3, what about using a USB3 PCIe card?

Going to be a royal PITA mating the connectors of a front-bay expansion plate if you're using Dell motherboard.
Sam
Premium Member

4th Nov 12 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah the case is completely stripped out, I'm installing a new socket 1155 motherboard with USB 3.0 built-in (to give you an idea of age the old motherboard was a socket 478!) but I just want to have some front panel USB and audio connectors.

[Edited on 04-11-2012 by Sam]
Brett
Premium Member

4th Nov 12 at 21:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get those bay jobbies at 3.5" too
Sam
Premium Member

4th Nov 12 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I know Brett but the case doesn't have any 3.5" drive bays unfortunately.

Edit - well it does but the front of the case isn't if you see what I mean from the pic above.

[Edited on 04-11-2012 by Sam]

New Poll