corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Decent Budget Laptop

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Decent Budget Laptop
Andrew

User status: Offline
27th Jan 13 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking for a decent budget laptop for myself. I currently have a MacBook Pro but a lot of the remote tools i use do not run. I'm not wanting to run Fusion or Parallels and Boot Camp will slow my daily tasks down.

I had a dual core PC i was using but this has now been sold on to customer which was always my plan once i could get some money back for the machine.

I don't need advise on what to get i'm basically after any offers people have seen recently. I know Alex got himself a little deal latterly with the help of cs.

Looking for minimum spec of an i5, 4GB RAM, 15" screen and don't want to spend more than £600. The hard drive does not worry my too much as this will be replaced with an SSD.

I have always bought Dell or hp in the past before i started picking up Apple kit. Although i have been working with Dell kit for the past year or so and have been impressed with the quality, this is now my own money i am playing with.

After looking over the usual websites, came across this last night. I've not googled for reviews yet. It's in my price range and spec and comes with 2 years warranty.

http://www.johnlewis.com/231820494/Product.aspx
pow
Premium Member

27th Jan 13 at 12:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't believe you're really asking this... but nevermind.

Why not get a netbook and install Win7 full fat on it, or get a Win8 tablet (Surface Pro for example) or, do what I do, have a server setup on the end of a VPN somewhere and remote into that to use anything that your laptop doesn't run.

I've got an M11x R2 running Windows 8, a Hyper-V server running 2008 R2 that I have a lot of remote stuff on and a Dell Mini 9 that I use up ladders to configure access points and any other onsite software that doesn't work with Win8.

Sony and Samsung kit always seems to be more temperamental than Dell or HP and for a personal machine that'll get a lot of abuse I'd never stoop to Acer or Asus. The other only brand I would look at is Lenovo business stuff.

[Edited on 27-01-2013 by pow]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

27th Jan 13 at 12:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

arent you in IT? surely you should be knowledgeable in this sort of stuff
Dave

27th Jan 13 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely this is the equivalent of me (a joiner) asking for advice on what hammer to buy?
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

27th Jan 13 at 13:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CK Tools Airgrip hammers are pretty decent Dave
Dave

27th Jan 13 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers but I think I'll stick with my Estwing, 15 years service next month
Balling
Premium Member

27th Jan 13 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Surely this is the equivalent of me (a joiner) asking for advice on what hammer to buy?
No, this is the equivalent of you explaining what type of hammer you'd like and asking if anybody has seen a good deal on one.

Dave

27th Jan 13 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like if no one had invented Google?
Balling
Premium Member

27th Jan 13 at 13:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you can guarantee that no one on here will know off or find a better deal on a laptop than you can by using Google?

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

27th Jan 13 at 14:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Cheers but I think I'll stick with my Estwing, 15 years service next month

4 new heads and 6 new handles?
Andrew

27th Jan 13 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
No, this is the equivalent of you explaining what type of hammer you'd like and asking if anybody has seen a good deal on one.

Exactly, at least one person here can see i know what i want, just after a better deal.
Andrew

27th Jan 13 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I can't believe you're really asking this... but nevermind.

Why not get a netbook and install Win7 full fat on it, or get a Win8 tablet (Surface Pro for example) or, do what I do, have a server setup on the end of a VPN somewhere and remote into that to use anything that your laptop doesn't run.

I've got an M11x R2 running Windows 8, a Hyper-V server running 2008 R2 that I have a lot of remote stuff on and a Dell Mini 9 that I use up ladders to configure access points and any other onsite software that doesn't work with Win8.

Sony and Samsung kit always seems to be more temperamental than Dell or HP and for a personal machine that'll get a lot of abuse I'd never stoop to Acer or Asus. The other only brand I would look at is Lenovo business stuff.

I asked for a 15" screen and a decent CPU. A Netbook is not going to cut what i need the machine for.

Yes i could setup a Sever 2003/2008R2 or 2012 Terminal Server but the server i currently have i need to start throwing money at in the next few months. Needs a couple of more discs and RAM but i may sell this on and get something with a better chip because that will be the next bottle neck. Not wanting several boxes eating up my electricity and taking up space either. The 13" MacBook Pro is also a little small to be working on for several hours per day.

I think you and I both know you can continue throwing money at gadgets but there has to be an actual need for it giving the amount of kit we would have laying around.
Andrew

27th Jan 13 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was in the John Lewis shop earlier, the Samsung build quality looks ok for my needs but the Toshiba L855-17Q was a little bit better finished and had more RAM.

I wouldn't need 8GB RAM as i have an ESXi box running for Virtual Machines.

Think i have made my decision to go with this one unless anyone can find or knows of a better deal. Only thing with the spec that i'm not happy with is the NIC speed no being 1gig

http://www.johnlewis.com/231820509/Product.aspx

[Edited on 27-01-2013 by Andrew]

New Poll