corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Why is my x20xev eating crankshaft sensors?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Why is my x20xev eating crankshaft sensors?
Ricky352

User status: Offline
30th Jan 13 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A few months ago the car was messing about so did a paperclip test, found out it needed a crankshaft sensor, found a cheap one on the web for about £20, fitted it and it worked..........for about a fortnight.

Went to Vauxhall and got the genuine part (£75) which has worked fine this last 4-5000 miles, or less. Car has been messing about again, did the paperclip test again today and it needs another crankshaft sensor!

I do a high mileage and can't be bothered forking out £75 every couple of months. Anyone else have this issue or know a possible solution?

Getting another one ordered now, so that'll 2 genuine parts and one cheap one its went through in less than 6 months.
davegreen
Premium Member

30th Jan 13 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure about the paper clip test method but years ago when the x20xev was a new engine camshaft sensors also gave fault codes relating to cranksensors. check the wiring to, the plug to the sensor and the plug to the ecu.
tobyc20xe

30th Jan 13 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As dave said bud. What car is it in btw?

[Edited on 30-01-2013 by tobyc20xe]
Ricky352

31st Jan 13 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its in a Cavalier Toby, 1995 SRi.

Didn't know that dave. Apparently the camshaft sensor has been changed in recent years too because they were giving bother. Both the sensor and the plug. My car brought up a fault code for camshaft many months ago so I went to Vauxhall and they told me I'd need a new sensor and plug, costing something like £120 just for the plug I think.

I didn't bother buying it and by the next day the fault code had gone and car drove fine up until now. I wasn't sure if the one in my car was already changed to the new one or not, but someone had been at it with a soldering iron.

Anyway fitted the new crankshaft sensor there and took the car for a few miles and its working fine. It was driving really crappy on the way to the motor factors to get the part.

So fingers crossed it stays fixed.

Cheers
tobyc20xe

31st Jan 13 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give a engine wiring loom a good look over bud and if there any fucked wires get a new engine loom. The the vectra or omega looms are the same I have them here cheap!
lozarus

31st Jan 13 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Send it back under parts warranty, faulty sensor. Should have 12 months parts warranty so long as u kept the receipt
Ricky352

1st Feb 13 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will do Toby

Didn't realise that lozarus. I didn't have receipt though and didn't keep one from the part I bought yesterday either lol. Will have to bear this in mind for the future

New Poll