corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Few problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Few problems
corsa king

User status: Offline
30th Sep 13 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello there,

It's been a long time since I posted up here due to selling my corsa and getting an E36. However, now I have now bought back my old corsa (1.0, envoy), which I am over the moon with. But it came with a few problems that it didn't have when I sold it

1) Before I sold it, a little latch type thing on the gear stick had to be lifted for it to go into reverse, now this is not the case. The latch seems to be not needed and the car can be put in reverse without it. This is quite annoying/dangerous as it can easily be mistaken for first gear. I had a look under the gaiter and there seems to be a small white block attched to the gearstick at the top, but nothing at the bottom. It lifts when the latch is pulled up. I will get a picture tomorrow so you can see.

I think I know how to fix (but if anyone knows for certain please let me know), but I can't for the life of me get the gear knob off. Its an after market one, and the part that attaches it to the stick is metal so traditional methods cannot be used, such as a hairdryer.

2) The passenger seat belt buckle has a yellow sign hanging out of it. It seems to function, but I have MOT coming up and I assume it's going to fail because of it. How would I go about replacing this?

3) This is something that has always bugged me - the accelerator pedal seems to be pretty stiff compared to other cars. Not sure if this is just how it is or not, but is there any way of making less stiff?

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!
csifku

30th Sep 13 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa king
Hello there,

It's been a long time since I posted up here due to selling my corsa and getting an E36. However, now I have now bought back my old corsa (1.0, envoy), which I am over the moon with. But it came with a few problems that it didn't have when I sold it

1) Before I sold it, a little latch type thing on the gear stick had to be lifted for it to go into reverse, now this is not the case. The latch seems to be not needed and the car can be put in reverse without it. This is quite annoying/dangerous as it can easily be mistaken for first gear. I had a look under the gaiter and there seems to be a small white block attched to the gearstick at the top, but nothing at the bottom. It lifts when the latch is pulled up. I will get a picture tomorrow so you can see.

I think I know how to fix (but if anyone knows for certain please let me know), but I can't for the life of me get the gear knob off. Its an after market one, and the part that attaches it to the stick is metal so traditional methods cannot be used, such as a hairdryer.

2) The passenger seat belt buckle has a yellow sign hanging out of it. It seems to function, but I have MOT coming up and I assume it's going to fail because of it. How would I go about replacing this?

3) This is something that has always bugged me - the accelerator pedal seems to be pretty stiff compared to other cars. Not sure if this is just how it is or not, but is there any way of making less stiff?

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

...answer for No 1 , just go to scrappy and get one , it will be fixed in just 1 minute, as u know there r not any screws or bolts, just twist the gear knob and pullit up then take out the spring and lift the leather thing

...answer no 2 it might be of ur acceleration cable ? it might be put thru tight place on engine so the way when the pedal is pressed to be diff, mine was like than, have a look at it
jay.jay

1st Oct 13 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the accelerator cable is stiff take the plastic top hat off the throttle body and have a look at the throttle valve inside it. Chances are it's completely covered in black gunk, throttle body can be removed easily to give it a good clean if it's not covered in gunk then as said above the cable is most likely catching on something
corsa king

3rd Oct 13 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the response guys! I had another go at taking the gear knob off and after a while I just about pulled it off. Did what was needed and now working perfectly! I haven't had a chance to sort either of the two problems, but will have a look on the weekend.

However, now I have another more serious problem. I got insured on the car yesterday, so was the first time I was really able to drive it. I know it's a 1 litre but it felt quite sluggish, and at some points in the journey it wasn't revving up at all, even when I was putting the throttle to the floor. But it soon kicked back in. Got it home and had a look at it with my dad. We took the open air filter off, which seemed pretty dirty, and replaced it with the standard box. Gave it a few runs around the block and it seems to be driving a lot better. But today I was in third at about 50mph, when the eml came on and the revs seemed to cut out, and then kick back in after a few seconds. On top of that the car sounds somewhat like a motorbike. The exhaust is noise seems to be a fluttering as oppose to a constant flow (when idling). Maybe the revs are bouncing about a bit, I cant really tell it doesn't have a rev counter.

I hope that's enough of a description, I made a little video of the car idling which I will stick up when I get a chance. The car is a Vauxhall Corsa B 1.0 envoy, 2000 reg. It had the head gasket done about 800 miles ago.

Once again, thank you very much!
corsa-torque

3rd Oct 13 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The yellow tag on the seat belt buckle means the pretensioner has been activated, it is an MOT fail and will require a new pretensioner fitted. Simple job, but keep the red fork in the pretensioner whilst fitting as these can go off with a bang from being knocked when fitting
corsa king

4th Oct 13 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers dude! I will be getting myself a new pretensioner over the next few days!

Anyone know anything about the other problem? I have been noticing the car is very sluggish of the line, but after a few seconds it shoots off. And when is quite hesitant when driving. It kinda bounce forwards sometimes, even if the accelerator isn't moved.
pow
Premium Member

4th Oct 13 at 22:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need a new AFM. Common as muck on them. Unplug it see if it drives any better
corsa king

9th Oct 13 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I have just found out why it was running like a bag of bolts - the head gasket is cooked. We'll atleast I think it is. I parked up today, and noticed there was smoke from the engine bay, popped it open and the oil sensor looked like it was leaking a milky gold fluid. Looked under the oil cap - thick milky good substance. Looked in the coolant tank - empty. Looked at the dipstick pretty much no oil, even though there was a little while back. However, the car didn't overheat, and seemed to run better than before? Is there anyway to make sure?

The car had the head gasket replace back on February this year, at the cost of £325 (previous owner had this done). You think we could go back and complain? Surely, a head gasket can't go bad in a few months (car sat on his drive the past 3 months, as he lost his licence.)

corsa king

11th Oct 13 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone got any ideas? The car has roughly done 900 miles since it had the head gasket replaced. I am no expert but a correctly fitted head gasket can't go bad in that period of time. You think I should take it to the garage that repaired it and complain? Any help would be great, I am currently out £400 and have no transportation.
corsa-torque

11th Oct 13 at 07:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could try, but its all down to maintenance, if the coolant has been low or oil level that's down to the owner not the garage.

I'd personally top the coolant up, remove sump but and poor some cheap oil though the engine till it runs clear, replace plug then fill up with your usual oil.
corsa king

13th Oct 13 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the help dude! Well if the garage refuse to have a look at it I think I might just give up with car, as I don't really have the time or money to fix it.
RCorsa

14th Oct 13 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa king
I think I have just found out why it was running like a bag of bolts - the head gasket is cooked. We'll atleast I think it is. I parked up today, and noticed there was smoke from the engine bay, popped it open and the oil sensor looked like it was leaking a milky gold fluid. Looked under the oil cap - thick milky good substance. Looked in the coolant tank - empty. Looked at the dipstick pretty much no oil, even though there was a little while back. However, the car didn't overheat, and seemed to run better than before? Is there anyway to make sure?

The car had the head gasket replace back on February this year, at the cost of £325 (previous owner had this done). You think we could go back and complain? Surely, a head gasket can't go bad in a few months (car sat on his drive the past 3 months, as he lost his licence.)

Sounds like the head could be warped which will kill a head gasket pretty quick. Did you get the receipt for the head gasket work from him? If so does it show a head skim?
corsa king

15th Oct 13 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The previous owner got the head gasket done, but I have asked for the invoice which I should expect over the next few days. I will let you know. If it was/wasn't done would that put me in any better standing to go back to the garage?

Cheers!
RCorsa

17th Oct 13 at 07:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It depends on the circumstance of the previous head gasket failure. If it failed and the car was turned off fairly quick it should be fine. If it was driven on home, or to a garage or wherever, then the head should always be checked and skimmed if required. The only way you'll find out is to get the head off and get it checked.
corsa king

23rd Oct 13 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry for the late reply, I was away from home. I rang the "garage", which turnt out to be a mechanic doing jobs in his own time (so there was no warranty etc). However, he did say he would come down and have a look at it.

I have debating over the past few days what to do to the car, and dropping a c20xe in keeps popping up in my head! So I am gonna start saving up I guess.

Thanks for the help though lads, was very much appreciated.

New Poll