corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Possible hard drive failure

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Possible hard drive failure
mwg

User status: Offline
17th Apr 14 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Computers started freezing then unfreezing so probably the hard drive on it's way out. Or could this be something to do with Windows XP support ending?

If it is the hard drive failing am I likely to be able to plug my external hard drive in to copy off files? I'm at work at the moment so can't get to the computer in question until about 6 tonight. Just trying to get an idea of what the problem might be before I get there and what I can do.

Computer hasn't been backed up lately, was going to be backing it up and installing Windows 8 this weekend
Brett
Premium Member

17th Apr 14 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol @ it being because XP support ending

Is that just a wild guess it's the HDD failing? Could be something else entirely.

IMO soldier on, see if it'll backup your stuff and do the new windows install. If it freezes, try doing the backup outside of windows.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

17th Apr 14 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Event Viewer system logs will show write/read failures if its a HDD failing. You will also hear a click if its really fucked.

Keep the PC off until you want to copy the files off and just do it in one swoop.

BTW if you are running Windows XP on this machine I have a funny feeling it may not be fast enough for Windows 8 - how old is it?
mwg

17th Apr 14 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinking as XP support has ended could it be a virus that's causing it.

Yeah it's a wild guess that the HDD is failing.
mwg

17th Apr 14 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Event Viewer system logs will show write/read failures if its a HDD failing. You will also hear a click if its really fucked.

Keep the PC off until you want to copy the files off and just do it in one swoop.

BTW if you are running Windows XP on this machine I have a funny feeling it may not be fast enough for Windows 8 - how old is it?

It's about 3 years old, maybe 4, when he bought it he had the option to get Windows 7 or Windows XP so if it's good enough to run 7 it should be ok for 8 I was hoping as they have the same requirements.

I've told him to turn it off

[Edited on 17-04-2014 by mwg]
willay
Premium Member

17th Apr 14 at 09:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you run any anti virus on it?
mwg

17th Apr 14 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah Avast
willay
Premium Member

17th Apr 14 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay, you should know the spec of the machine before putting Windows 8 on it, could not install or be completely shit.

To be fair the Win8 spec is quite low:

quote:
Windows 8.1
If you want to run Windows 8.1 on your PC, here's what it takes:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

If you're running Windows 8 you can get a free update to Windows 8.1. Just tap or click the Windows Store tile on your Start screen.

But that doesn't mean it will run nicely
mwg

17th Apr 14 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm waiting for that to be the next problem Trying to do it the cheap way, if it was down to me I'd just buy a new PC with Windows 8 already on it. Not like they are expensive
mwg

17th Apr 14 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does have a higher spec than those requirements. The only thing I was unsure of was the graphics card but rightly or wrongly I went on the idea that if it was good enough to run 7 the graphics card must be good enough to run 8 as it's the same spec required for both
willay
Premium Member

17th Apr 14 at 09:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not just install Windows 7?
mwg

17th Apr 14 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought might as well go straight to 8. It's still in it's packaging so might return it yet
Bart

17th Apr 14 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
Thought might as well go straight to 8. It's still in it's packaging so might return it yet

Just wop 8 on if you have it.
system requirements aren't staggering different between 8 and 7.
dannymccann

17th Apr 14 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Usually if the HDD is buggered you hear the click of death like Willay said. Sometimes you can hear it try to spin up then cut out as well. Get all your files off and just use it as normal. I've had a few hard drives fail on me in the past and I don't think they have instantly just let go, they died slowly.

The freezing issue though could be totally unrelated, could be an overheating issue for the CPU or GPU. If it's 4 years old chances are no one has bothered to hoover the inside out and 99.99% likely no one has applied any new thermal paste to the CPU so it could very well be that
Scotty_B

17th Apr 14 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I'm running Windows 8.1 update 1 on an 8 year old XP machine and it's given it a new lease of life. Way fast than XP.

[Edited on 17-04-2014 by Scotty_B]
Brett
Premium Member

17th Apr 14 at 12:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fresh install of xp would've probs done the same tbf
dannymccann

17th Apr 14 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love doing a fresh xp install, computer flies. Only problem used to be the gb's of updates, especially on 2mb
willay
Premium Member

19th Apr 14 at 13:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Scotty_B
quote:

I'm running Windows 8.1 update 1 on an 8 year old XP machine and it's given it a new lease of life. Way fast than XP.

that is amazing, I can't imagine it being fast thou. Perhaps our definitions of fast are different.
mwg

28th Apr 14 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Managed to get the hard drive out and get all the files off ok. Got a new computer coming with Windows 8.1 on it seen as the other computer was a few years old anyway so not worth messing around with it for the price of a new machine.

I don't think it was the hard drive anyway, it worked fine when I had it connected to my computer. No clicking

[Edited on 28-04-2014 by mwg]
mwg

28th Apr 14 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Returned the other copy of Windows 8.1 to Amazon too.
Rob_Quads

28th Apr 14 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Scotty_B

Agree. Just put it on my wife's laptop and it feels slightly faster (compared with a fresh 7 install I just did on it before realising that after patching the OS took it 30gb) windows 8.1 seemed to take up around 18gb all installed and patched

New Poll