corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » FAO: install builders

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAO: install builders
Richie

User status: Offline
24th Feb 05 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only problem with expanding foam is that it would have to be trimmed with material or skimmed with filler or fibreglass to paint it, more work again.

Very good idea though and it does work. Cant remember how much a can it was, but your local brandon tool hire should have some cans cheap, if not B&Q it
Martin

24th Feb 05 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think i'll B&Q it, closing down near me so everything will be cheap

Just going to use expandin foam to get basic shape, then cover in fibre glass n filler to hold it all together.

Never used the stuff b4 mind, is it easy to cut...?
mobymaster

24th Feb 05 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are two types you can get, the normal stuff and some other stuff which doesnt expand as much, I used both types, found the second easier to control and manage where it went. I used a bread knife and cut it, peice of piss If you wnt, add me to MSN enquiries@mobile-masters.co.uk and Ill send you some pics of the door pods i did. Give you some sort of idea as to how it works. I also got it from b&q.
Martin

24th Feb 05 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a bread knife? its the easy? wiked.

i'm on dial up at home buddy, so i cant really recieve files over MSN. if u could attach them n send them to martin_whayman@hotmail.com i'd be grateful, then i could put them in my garage
mobymaster

24th Feb 05 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK, will grip them from my fone and upload
corb

24th Feb 05 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheres the little gayboy Painz? he knows what the material's called. Oi, Painz you Dick, get in 'ere!
audio one

25th Feb 05 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mould fabric... made by select products sold in the UK by 33hz, tel.01638 583883

Paul
www.audio-one.co.uk
Martin

25th Feb 05 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheerz.

going to spend ages experimenting me thinks

should i build the whole enlosure outa fibre glass with the subs and ports in this.
Or should i build MDF boxes with the subs and ports in, and fibre glass less exiting shaped over this..?

Martin
audio one

25th Feb 05 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The basis for any fibreglass install is a good mdf structure so start there

Paul
www.audio-one.co.uk
RichR
Premium Member

26th Feb 05 at 13:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aztec_sxi

excellent mate. Can i just use normal resin, eg, the stuff that comes in a pot p38.

Is this what they use in proper body shops then...? Good anough for me, but i cant see as a MASSIVE instal is just done with cotton stuff.

thats not resin - for starters P38 is filler, your reffering to p40 which is fibreglass filler - its not resin at all - its resin mixed with chopped up strands of glass

The best material to use is Fleece - u can get cheap fleeces from markets etc - £10 would buy you two which should be more than enough

U really need to do more research into it tho - cause u cant just use p40/038 or equivalent

The fleece is just an internal layer over which to lay chop strand matt and a woven roving in alternate layers - about 4/5 thick - finsihed off with a surface tissue and then a skim of filler (P38 would do)

its a long loborious task - plus you need to get a good resin supplier - and dont just use the small cans from Halfords - theyre 3/4 times too expensive and youd need hundreds of them

I can recommend some good suppliers if you want- all of which are mail order

however you need to buy

Resin
Catalyst
(possibly inhibitors)
a roll of chop strand
a roll of woven roving
a large tub of P38 or U-Pol easi sand ( or u can mix your own up with balloon inhibitors in the resin mix)

RichR
Premium Member

26th Feb 05 at 13:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as for "coating in Carbon fibre"

never heard that oen before -

its nto a simple as you think

After youve glassed up the box and finished it to a relatively smooth shape - you'll then have to lay up a bi-axial cloth carbon over the top - laminating it into place

however if youve got bends/curves and flexes in your sub box shape - the weave will pull apart -showing the glass underneath - its not an easy task to make it look right - and to egt a really good carbon finish you need to bake at least the final layer in an "autoclave" -

Our autoclave costs somewhere in the region of £50 to fire up each time - hence why carbon products ( good ones not knock off shit with twill weave) cost so much - the raw materials arnt too expensive - its the process involved
Martin

28th Feb 05 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

opened my eyes a bit
Martin

1st Mar 05 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wont be coating the 'bendy bits' in carbon fibre cause i am well aware this will be tricky,

i hope to put a layer of it on a flat base that my amplifier will sit on, then tuck it round the edge and it'll go under neath where it doesnt matter if the ends fray coz u wont see it.

after reading all that thou, dunno if i can be assed with the hassle, may just MDF it ...

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll