corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » xe inlet cam on let?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author xe inlet cam on let?
Doug_SRi

User status: Offline
12th Oct 06 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heard of this mod a few times but dont actually know what gains you can get from it? Got a spare xe cam and engine is not timed up yet so nows the time to change it if its worth it? Do you just time it up as normal?
ed

12th Oct 06 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can time it up normally or you can put it on a vernier and retard it a bit. I'm no expert on it though, just spoke to a few people about it. But basically the XE cam has a harsher profile to the LET cam so you will get a bit of a gain out of it, especially if you put the boost up a little.
Doug_SRi

12th Oct 06 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thinking about running around 260bhp, also got verniers on my spare xe engine so might be worth doing
ainsley_brader

12th Oct 06 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the xe cam has 1mm more lift i believe and i'm fairly sure you retard it by one tooth. Should check on mig!
ed

12th Oct 06 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea definately Think there is some stuff on MIG about it...
ainsley_brader

12th Oct 06 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah if your running verniers then best have them set up proffesionally. But from memory you want the inlet reatrded about 8 degrees (1/2 a tooth as a full tooth is 15.? degrees)
SportBoy

12th Oct 06 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got one in mine .. dunno if its done anything tho lol .. its no slower anyway
just used normal timing marks as i dont have any verniers and didnt want it retarding 1 tooth .. could always modify the cam sprocket abit to giv you half a tooth tho
ckallis500

13th Oct 06 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes you will see gains with an xe inlet cam on an let, you have to use a venier thats the only problem, like ainsley said, its not a full tooth out so its a must with a vernier you cant just put the timing on a tooth out as that will be too much...
ed

13th Oct 06 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SportyBoy
ive got one in mine .. dunno if its done anything tho lol .. its no slower anyway
just used normal timing marks as i dont have any verniers and didnt want it retarding 1 tooth .. could always modify the cam sprocket abit to giv you half a tooth tho
You shouldn't do that!
Ben ev

13th Oct 06 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as mention xe has more lift and more duration than the stock let cams. ideally retarding by 7 degrees 1/2 a tooth ish will give best results. sticking with the stock let exhaust cam prevents cam overlap which is not good for turbo engines as boost pressure will be lost straight out the valves. if you dont have a vernier retarding by one tooth will surfice but ensure nothing touches before you start it up. this mod wont really add power but instead will allow the engine to breath more efficiently at high revs.
check out max boost for the gen. good luck

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/

[Edited on 13-10-2006 by Ben ev]
Ben ev

13th Oct 06 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/cylhead/cams_C20LET.htm

link to the cam info
SportBoy

13th Oct 06 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by SportyBoy
You shouldn't do that!

no you shouldnt but you can lol

New Poll