corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Ignition - Help!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ignition - Help!!
cheater

User status: Offline
   20th Dec 08 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, need some of your help!

I picked up the 1996 1.4 Sport today and the lady i collected it from said that the battery was flat so bring some jump leads.

Firstly, the car has a Scorpion after market alarm on it which looks to have bipassed the standard alarm on these. (Important to note)

When we arrived, we tried to jump the car from a BMW 530D (big old battery) and didnt start. There are ignition lights but as soon as you turn the key to turn the car over, just a click and EVERYTHING goes off. Lights, interior lights (which we have only just managed to get after numerous jump attempts) and your back to square one.

I decided to get a brand new battery today, and exactly the same, just ignition lights and a click and everything is off. One thing is that it takes a while for all the lights to come back on again, and just one big cycle.

You cant hear the fuel pump prime or anything, and it doesnt seem to make a different whether you are jumping the car or have a fully charged battery attached.

What could it be? Im thinking the alarm is faulty and that the immobiliser is stopping the engine being turned over? Just a thought.

Am taking the ignition to bits tomorrow to have a look but do some of the more experienced people have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

chris_gilly

20th Dec 08 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my old mini did exactly this turns out the battery terminals were dodgy, might be the same check there on tight and properly, i put a screwwy in a gap between the batt and terminal and it worked.
cheater

20th Dec 08 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right managed to find out a bit more.

Left the car alone for a while, and came back about 1-2 hours later. Used the brand new battery which i got from halfords with a set of jump leads and put the jumpers on the car terminals.

Everything worked, but as soon as you try to draw a bit more power out of the battery, like putting on headlights or opening a windows, everything goes off again.

However, tallking about battery terminals, it could be this as once power is off after tying to start or turn on headlights, you have to move the jump leads about a bit to get all the power to go back on again.

Thought i would give you all an update.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Rybo

20th Dec 08 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bolt the new battery up properly,then try starting it,using leads is okay to start a car but im not sure there too good when you start pulling more current down them (lights etc)
cheater

20th Dec 08 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi rybo,

pulling current for side lights, blowers, windows is fine with the battery terminals (the car ones) attached to jump leads on a fully charged battery, but as soon as i try and put main lights on or start the engine everything goes off.

I reckon it could be faulty car terminals, or a loose ancillary or something. having a good look tomorrow as i really want this car started before i start working on the blown head gasket.
Rybo

21st Dec 08 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would in that case work back from the suspected problem (lights)...take bulbs out and get multi meter out,check for shorts,snags..working back up through the loom then switches maybe even fuse board...although ive not mentioned anything you probly dont know this is how i would tackle the problem
Rybo

21st Dec 08 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

having a good look is the only way
john_c20xe

21st Dec 08 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like an earth problem or maybe the positive going to the starter? could be earthing out
Mr Turner

21st Dec 08 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the battery is fully charged then there is no need to use the jump leads at all. also check the wires are tight in the battery terminals, check earths and also disconect the alarm (this will mean that it will/wont be causing the imobiliser problem like you stated above) check that leads on starter and altenator are correct.

New Poll