corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » heater not working

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author heater not working
Root

User status: Offline
5th Nov 09 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the heating inside the car has stopped working today, later in the evening it worked for about 5 seconds then stopped again. What do I need to replace? Thanks lads
reidy22

5th Nov 09 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whaT car fella ???what do u mean its stopped working is nothing happening when u turn heater dial 2 1.2.3.4??
Kevxx

5th Nov 09 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Radiator or inside heater? :/

Common for a maxtrix to go on a corsa, but you're a bit vague with details to tell.

[Edited on 06-11-2009 by Kevxx]
Ste
Premium Member

6th Nov 09 at 03:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The heater or the fan stopped working?

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Root

6th Nov 09 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I mean the heater inside the car, with the blowers..today when driving I did realise that my needle went up to 95 degrees celcius, stopped, checked the coolant and there was none o_O so cooked head gasket for dinner, anyone? Nah, it should be okay, I noticed it before it got to 100 degrees sooo..

so topped that up now...could that have been the offender? I'm not sure AT ALL how the heating (inside the car) works.

The fans do blow air into the car, but it's not warm...it's cold, even on the hot setting. ...that is my problem

cheers lads.

[Edited on 06-11-2009 by Root]
Kevxx

6th Nov 09 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try checking for an airlock first, try opening the header tank cap and letting the engine warm up, let the engine get hot and the water may overflow the header tank, rev the engine and the water will drop, then put the cap back on.

If no hot air, and engine is heating, either radiator leaking, a leak or some sort, themostate not opening, or dreaded headgasket dude!

[Edited on 06-11-2009 by Kevxx]
Root

6th Nov 09 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well I'm gonna leave the headgasket alone atm until I see signs of it being damaged like mayo or water in oil etc or any fuck ups.

well, it was blowing hot air in like...for a few seconds, then stopping for ages, then like...maybe half an hour later, it blows a tiny bit in, then stops again. Could it have been I had no water in my car? Because you mentioned leaky rad...so obviously if there's no water at all...maybe?
Kevxx

6th Nov 09 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
well I'm gonna leave the headgasket alone atm until I see signs of it being damaged like mayo or water in oil etc or any fuck ups.

well, it was blowing hot air in like...for a few seconds, then stopping for ages, then like...maybe half an hour later, it blows a tiny bit in, then stops again. Could it have been I had no water in my car? Because you mentioned leaky rad...so obviously if there's no water at all...maybe?

Try checking for an airlock!
Root

6th Nov 09 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kevxx
quote:

Try checking for an airlock!

I havn't tested the heating system since adding water, I'll go do that now before messing about with any other things.
johnhara1

6th Nov 09 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much water did it take to fill it back up?

Corsa system holds about 4 - 5 litres, if you lost that much you have a major problem
Root

6th Nov 09 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

john my corsa seems to eat water for some reason, every...2 weeks I will need to put about 1-2 litres in.

right, don't worry guys, I just let the car warm up then put the heating on, seems to work again now

Might buy a head gasket and replace it on the weekend just in case. Not doing thermo though, it never went to 100 degrees.

johnhara1

6th Nov 09 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You may just have a water leak mate.

My Corsa used to leak from the bottom of the rad when it was hot and the system became pressurised.

When cold it didn't lose a drop. I whacked some radweld in and it sorted it.

I was using about 1L every week.
johnhara1

6th Nov 09 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Next time you need to top it up, whack some radweld in and 2L of red antifreeze.

Hopefully the leak will stop and you'll have a 50/50 mix of anti freeze and coolant.
Root

6th Nov 09 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay, cheers bud. I'll loosen the coolant bottle lid a little to stop it pressurising so much and see if I still loose water.
Root

6th Nov 09 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by johnhara1
Next time you need to top it up, whack some radweld in and 2L of red antifreeze.

Hopefully the leak will stop and you'll have a 50/50 mix of anti freeze and coolant.

Okay, I will do that. I don't use coolant though, just plain old water for me. But I'll give it a go and see what happens

Kevxx

6th Nov 09 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by johnhara1

Okay, I will do that. I don't use coolant though, just plain old water for me. But I'll give it a go and see what happens

put coolant in mate, water freezes in the winter
Root

6th Nov 09 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Oh, yer. I'm going to during winter. Ofc I will, lol.

Cheers for all the help anyway, guys. My rad does have a few dents so maybe it does need some rad wield to help it? idk. We'll see anyway.

Kevxx

6th Nov 09 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Cheers for all the help anyway, guys. My rad does have a few dents so maybe it does need some rad wield to help it? idk. We'll see anyway.

if you have no rad weld, bit shady but an egg works the same as a temp fix.
Root

6th Nov 09 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

if you have no rad weld, bit shady but an egg works the same as a temp fix.

lol, nah. I'll keep topping it up for now until I buy some rad wield. Thanks anyway lol

New Poll